The Mentor Experience
Roles of a Mentor
As a mentor, it is expected that you demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Professional Coaching.
- Career Guidance.
- Moral support.
- Evaluative feedback (on resumes, professional goals, etc.).
- Networking (making introductions to others in the field, etc.).
- Professional Resource (Information / Experience).
- Advice / Advisement.
Responsibilities of a Mentor
As a mentor, it is expected that you will assume the following tasks:
- Initiate contact with your mentee.
- Exchange additional contact information with your mentee (i.e., office phone, cell phone, e-mail).
- Arrange to meet (i.e., face-to-face, by telephone, or virtually) with your mentee for a minimum of 12 contact hours during the mentorship experience.
- Review and provide feedback on mentee’s resume.
- Assist in the development of and review your mentee’s Professional Development Action Plan and discuss ways in which your experiences and resources might help their goals.
- Create your own Professional Development Action Plan.
- Participate in on-going discussions with other participants in the program (online forums).
- View supplemental tutorials and resources (online).
- Complete a minimum of 3 contact hours of professional development courses, opportunities, and/or trainings external to the program.
- Be available for urgent situations that arise.
- Encourage and demonstrate confidence in your mentee.
- Be liberal with constructive and evaluative feedback.
- Encourage independent behavior, but be willing to invest ample time in your mentee.
- Provide accessibility and exposure for your mentee within your own professional circle.
- Illustrate the methodology and importance of networking.
NOTE: Either the mentor or mentee can elect to end the relationship on a no-fault basis for any reason or for no reason at all. Please inform the FPHTC Online Mentor Program Coordinator when a mentor-mentee relationship needs to be modified or terminated.
Not sure whether to apply as a mentor or mentee?
Click HERE to help determine your mentorship role!