The Mentee Experience
Roles of a Mentee
As a mentee, it is expected that you demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Eagerness to learn.
- Respect for the mentor’s expertise.
- Flexibility and understanding of the mentor’s other commitments.
- Promptness for all meetings.
- Provision of feedback, even if none is requested.
- Appreciation of mentor’s time and interest.
Responsibilities of a Mentee
As a mentee, it is expected that you will assume the following tasks:
- Initiate contact with your mentor.
- Exchange additional contact information with your mentor (i.e., office phone, cell phone, e-mail).
- Arrange to meet (i.e., face-to-face, by telephone, or virtually) with your mentor for a minimum of 12 contact hours during the mentorship experience.
- Prepare and send an updated resume to be reviewed by your mentor.
- Share your Professional Development Action Plan and discuss or align some of these goals with your mentor.
- Participate in on-going discussions with other participants in the program (online forums).
- View supplemental tutorials and resources (online).
- Complete a minimum of 3 contact hours of professional development courses, opportunities, and/or trainings external to the program.
NOTE: Either the mentor or mentee can elect to end the relationship on a no-fault basis for any reason or for no reason at all. Please inform the FPHTC Online Mentor Program Coordinator when a mentor-mentee relationship needs to be modified or terminated.
Not sure whether to apply as a mentor or mentee?
Click HERE to help determine your mentorship role!