Senior Surfers and Social Networking:
An interdisciplinary investigation into online dating outcomes for women using social networking sites
We are conducting a research study on the experiences of women who have used social networking sites to meet people online. We are asking women like yourself to participate in a phone interview. Our informed consent for the study can be viewed here. This research is being conducted through the University of South Florida in The Harrell Center for the Study of Family Violence, you can visit the website at: http://harrellcenter.hsc.usf.edu/.
The individuals conducting the research are:
- Dr. Carla VandeWeerd
- Dr. Jaime Corvin
- Dr. Martha Coulter
- Dr. Ali Yalcin
- Dr. Elizabeth Perkins
- Dr. Bonnie Yegidis
It is uncomfortable to have someone take advantage of you. There are resources to help individuals who have had bad experiences online or in-person.
The state elder abuse hotline to report abuse is: 1-800-96-ABUSE or 1-800-962-2873
If you or someone you know would like a person to talk to you can reach the Crisis Center 24 hours a day by dialing 211 from your telephone.
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Family Justice Center of Hillsborough County for resources on domestic violence in the area.
- The Spring of Tampa Bay is the local domestic violence shelter
- Meals on wheels Tampa provides meals to those who are homebound and/or seniors.
- The National Online Resource Center on Violence Against Women
- Office on Violence Against Women