Goal: Achieve and sustain global prominence in research and scholarly activity.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES for 2008-2013 (As part of the College of Nursing Strategic Plan)
- Develop and implement methods and procedures to achieve a balanced research portfolio that includes public and private funding and at least 40% of funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Establish endowed chairs and recruit world-class faculty who can obtain significant levels of external research funding.
- Expand opportunities for both pre- and post-doctoral students to participate in funded research activities.
- Develop/expand innovative inter-disciplinary research programs including Centers in psychoneuroimmunology (PNI), womens health, end-of-life care, and data coordination of multi-center studies.
- Create an equitable formal procedure that provides incentives and rewards for achievement of outstanding research and scholarly activities and for mentoring of junior faculty and students.
- Have at least 10 faculty members with a 50% or more assignment to research and scholarly activities, of which, half or more of the assignment is funded externally.
- Expand dissemination of scholarly achievements and findings in high-profile scientific venues.