The prerequisite courses below are to be completed before admission to the VCARE program:
- English Composition I and II (6) ENC 1101 and ENC 1102
- Gordon Rule Math (Algebra or Finite Math preferred) (3) - MAC 1105 or MGF 1106
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4) BSC 2085/L
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4) BSC 2086/L
- Any three credit class in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, or Physics (3) - (CHMXXXX, BCHXXXX, BSCXXXX, PHYXXXX, or PCBXXXX)
- Life Span (Human Growth and Development) (3) - DEP 2004
- Human Nutrition (3) - HUN 2201
- Microbiology with lab (4) - MCB 2000/L
- Statistics (3) STA 2122
- Psychology (3) (PSYXXXX, SYGXXXX, or SOPXXXX)
The University’s Foreign Language Entrance requirement must also be completed before starting the program.
USF also requires other courses, called Foundations of Knowledge and learning (FKLs), to be complete to obtain a bachelor's degree. Some pre-req courses may also meet the USF FKL requirements.
- Fine Arts (3 Credit Hours)
- Humanities (6 Credit Hours)
- Human and Cultural Diversity in a Global Context (3 Credit Hours)
- English Composition (6 Credit Hours)
- Natural Science (6 Credit Hours)
- Social and Behavioral Science (6 Credit Hours)
Six credits of the above coursework must be completed in Human and Historical Context and Process Courses. All students are required to meet the university requirements for foreign language.
Please consult the catalog for specific FKL and Foreign Language requirements.
There is a two-step application process for the VCARE program; first applying to the university through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (must be admitted to USF Tampa campus first) and then a secondary application to the College of Nursing (VCARE program), through SOAR, after admission to the university. Please plan in advance as the admission process to the university can last 6-8 weeks. You will want to apply for general admission to USF through Undergraduate Admissions about two months before the College of Nursing application opens, see deadlines below.
Be sure you apply early to the university itself so there is plenty of time to complete any missing pre-requisite course work needed to apply to the VCARE program.
Step 1: Applying to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions: Application Deadlines (admit each semester: Fall, Spring, Summer):
|Desired Term of Entry||Application Deadline||File Completion Deadline|
|Fall||June 1||July 15|
|Spring||October 1||November 15|
|Summer||March 1||April 15|
See admissions website for more details: www.usf.edu/admissions
Step 2: Applying to the VCARE Sequence: Application Deadlines (admit Fall semester only):
|Term||SOAR Application Open||Deadline to Apply|
|Fall 2017||December 1, 2016 (open)||March 1, 2017 @ 5:00 pm (closes)|
You can review more details about the V-CARE sequence athttp://health.usf.edu/nursing/academics/vcare/index.htm
Up to 24
Please contact H. Jason Miller at the Office of Veteran Services at email@example.com for any additional help or questions. View the Office of Veteran Services website for additional information and services available.
Nursing Program Expenses:
Certified Background (Required by the college):
- $155.00 (includes background check, drug screen, and document tracker)
- $38.00 Drug Test (If drug test is not done within 48 hours, the drug test only package must be purchased.)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
- Hepatitis B
- TB Skin Test
Smart Phone/PDA: Est. $150.00 - $250.00
USF Nursing Scrubs: Clinical Starter Pack
- Top: $49.95
- Pants: $49.95
- Lab Coat: $79.95
- Stethoscope: $70-150
Textbooks & Course Software:
- UCentral (Nursing Central Software License/Unbound Medicine): $139.00
- iClicker: Est. $37.00 - $50.00
- Ready Point: Est. $700 initial cost first semester (most materials will be used for 3 semesters)
- Shadow Health Virtual Clinical Experience: Est. $89.00 (one-time fee for use throughout program)
- SafeMedication: Est. $99.00
- Project Concert: Est. $50.00 a year
- NCLEX (Florida Board of Nursing):
- $250.00 (Cost after graduation)
- Pearson Vue (Test Administrator):
- Est. $200.00 (Cost after graduation)
Nursing Program Expenses are estimates and for information purposes only, and subject to change upon entry into the program. To see if you qualify for instate tuition please visit the Office of the Registrar. In-state tuition is available for all qualifying military veterans. Please visit the Office of Veterans Services for more information.
Please see the tuition and fees website for up to date tuition information.
Students are lower level transfers if they have less than 60 transferrable credit hours and an upper level student has 60 plus (or an AA degree) transferable credit hours (as evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions). Lower level transfers must submit their high school transcripts and SAT or ACT scores to be considered.
If you do not have SAT or ACT scores, you should earn 60 credit hours of college/university coursework and then transfer as an Upper Level student. Upper Level students do not have to submit SAT or ACT scores. See the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website for more information.
If possible, please consider attending an information session as we do not have any advisors available to personally assist prospective students with general questions. These sessions allow prospective students to get detailed information about the USF bachelor's degrees in nursing. We offer info sessions live in Tampa several times each semester to try and accommodate everyone's busy schedule. The list of upcoming information sessions can be found at: http://health.usf.edu/nursing/advising
In addition to our information sessions, the USF College of Nursing website is a great resource for information about the program. There are tabs that detail the admission requirements, application process and deadlines, and curriculum.
Students who would like to schedule an advising appointment should contact Kirsten Manzi at: KirstenManzi@health.usf.edu
The College of Nursing can do a preliminary review of military transcripts to determine eligibility to the program. Please email a copy of your Joint Services Transcript to KirstenManzi@health.usf.edu. The first opportunity for evaluation of college transcripts is when a student applies for general admission through the USF Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Unfortunately, there are no prescreening services that will identify which courses are transferable before applying to USF. Once admitted, it will be your responsibility to contact a pre-nursing academic advisor prior to the SOAR application deadline to discuss how your courses transferred into the University and how they have been applied to the Nursing curriculum.
The College of Nursing does not accept or consider any of the above supporting documents in the admission evaluation. Volunteer experience is not specifically required as part of the admission process. You may however, include any relevant experience in the required resume.
Admission is based on a combination of factors, including cumulative undergraduate GPA, grades on the first-attempt prerequisites, a resume, and an interview identifying student’s motivation for nursing and professional approaches to scenarios.