VCARE Sequence (VCA)
Veteran to BS
The V-CARE sequence allows service members and veterans with medical training experience as medics or corpsmen the opportunity to receive a bachelor's of science degree with a major in nursing. The V-CARE sequence is typically completed in four consecutive semesters (after pre-requisites). Graduates may then take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to earn their RN license. Pre-requisites can be completed at any regionally accredited college/university with completion of nursing coursework at the Tampa campus.
The V-CARE sequence is limited access and admission is competitive. Applicants must meet the following requirements before applying for the V-CARE sequence:
- Acceptance at the USF Tampa Undergraduate Admissions office as a pre-nursing student. (Students must have USF Tampa Campus as the home campus.) An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher on all undergraduate work. (Be sure to include your medical training on the USF application as noted on your SMART/ACE transcript).
- Pre-requisite courses must be completed by the intended term of entry into the nursing program (listed below, with USF equivalencies). A grade of 'C' or better is required:
- English Composition I and II (6) ENC 1101 and ENC 1102
- Gordon Rule Math (Algebra or Finite Math preferred) (3) - MAC 1105 or MGF 1106
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4) BSC 2085/L
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4) BSC 2086/L
- Any three credit class in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, or Physics (3) - (CHMXXXX, BCHXXXX, BSCXXXX, PHYXXXX, or PCBXXXX)
- Life Span (Human Growth and Development) (3) - DEP 2004
- Human Nutrition (3) - HUN 2201
- Microbiology with lab (4) - MCB 2000/L
- Statistics (3) STA 2122
- Psychology (3) (PSYXXXX, SYGXXXX, or SOPXXXX)
- Admission to the VCARE sequence is based on cumulative GPA, first-attempt grades in pre-requisites, a writing sample and resume. The writing sample will identify the applicant's motivations for nursing, plans for academic success, relevant leadership, or volunteer experiences as they contribute to nursing and a clinical-based experience scenario. The VBSN application will identify the specific area or situation to discuss in the writing sample.
- Applicants with completed pre-requisites may be eligible for admission to Fall V-CARE Sequence. Students who do not have all pre-requisite courses completed by Fall admission cycle, may be eligible for conditional admission to a later V-CARE Sequence.
USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirements:
The Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum is a program of general education courses required by the State of Florida and University of South Florida. The FKL courses are designed to provide you with a diversity of ideas, concepts, and ways of knowing and acquiring new knowledge. It emphasizes inquiry as the means of developing complex intellectual skills that enable you to become a critical thinker, concerned citizen, and successful professional.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the University's FKL requirements for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Courses that meet the state mandated common prerequisites may also meet the USF FKL requirements. Students will find a list of FKL courses approved that also meet the College of Nursing requirements. Students with a Florida community college A.A. degree (other than in nursing) or with a baccalaureate degree will be considered to have met all of the USF General Education requirements. A grade of 'C-' or better is required in the FKL courses and a grade of 'C' or better for all nursing pre-requisite courses:
- Fine Arts (3 Credit Hours)
- Humanities (6 Credit Hours)
- Human and Cultural Diversity in a Global Context (3 Credit Hours)
- English Composition (6 Credit Hours)
- Natural Science (6 Credit Hours)
- Social and Behavioral Science (6 Credit Hours)
Six credits of the above coursework must be completed in Human and Historical Context and Process Courses. All students are required to meet the university requirements for foreign language. Please consult the catalog for specific requirements.
All students who are admitted to the College of Nursing are required to complete a Background Check, Immunization Verification, and Drug Screening for the College of Nursing via CertifiedProfile.com
- The requirements are as follows: MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Documentation of a Tdap booster, TB skin test, CPR certification from the American Heart Association, and a flu shot.
- All requirements must be completed by the first week of class.
- The CertifiedProfile account must be created with a USF Health email address (Only available to students are who have been admitted to the College of Nursing).
For CertifiedProfile.com questions please contact the CertifiedProfile Service Desk at (888) 914-7279 or firstname.lastname@example.org.