Veteran to Bachelor's (V-CARE)
The Veteran to Bachelor's (V-CARE) program allows service members and veterans with medical training experience as medics or corpsmen the opportunity to receive a bachelor's of science degree with a major in nursing. The V-CARE program is typically completed in four consecutive semesters (after prerequisites, Foreign Language, and FKL requirements). Graduates may then take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to earn their RN license. Prerequisites can be completed at any regionally accredited college/university with completion of nursing coursework at the Tampa campus.
The V-CARE program is a full-time limited access program, as mandated by the state, and is structured sequentially. Admission is competitive.
Criteria for Veteran to Bachelor's (V-CARE):
- Admission to the University of South Florida as a degree-seeking undergraduate student.
- Completed application to the College of Nursing prior to the published deadline for the intended term of entry.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate coursework.
- Completion of the prerequisite courses by the intended term of entry into the nursing program. (Note: Any outstanding prerequisite at the time of the Nursing application must be completed with a "B" or better by the program start date)
- Completion of ENC 1101 English Composition I, ENC 1102 English Composition II and Gordon Rule Math (in addition to Statistics, i.e. MGF 1106 Finite Mathematics, MAC 1105 College Algebra or higher) by the published application deadline.
- Completion of the University's foreign language entrance requirement and University General Education requirements by the intended term of entry.
- Participation in a formal interview with the College of Nursing faculty, if selected.
The state-mandated nursing common prerequisites are required to be completed before the intended term of entry. A grade of "C" or better is required (Note: Any outstanding prerequisite at the time of the Nursing application must be completed with a "B" or better by the intended semester of entry). USF course numbers are listed for planning purposes.
- BSC 2085/L Human Anatomy & Physiology I with lab, 4 semester hours
- BSC 2086/L Human Anatomy & Physiology II with lab, 4 semester hours
- Any CHM, BSC, PHY, PCB, BCH XXXX (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Biochemistry) course, 3 semester hours
- DEP 2004 Human Growth and Development course (covering the life span), 3 semester hours
- HUN 2201 Human Nutrition, 3 semester hours
- MCB 2000/L Microbiology with lab, 4 semester hours
- Any PSY, SYG, or SOP XXXX (Psychology, Sociology, Social Psychology) course, 3 semester hours
- STA 2122 or 2023 Statistics or any Statistics course, 3 semester hours
Admissions decisions will be based on cumulative undergraduate GPA, first-attempt grades in the prerequisites, a resume, and the interview (formerly the writing sample) to identify motivations for pursuing nursing and professional approaches to scenarios.
Applicants with completed prerequisites may be eligible for admission to Fall V-CARE Program. Students who do not have all prerequisite courses completed by Fall admission cycle, may be eligible for conditional admission to a later V-CARE Program.
NOTE: Final admissions to all nursing programs is conditional upon passing a Level 2 background check. See the Important Notification below for complete details. The background check must be completed at the applicant’s expense in accordance with the College of Nursing policy and procedures on background checks and drug screenings.
USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirements:
The Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum is a program of general education courses required by the State of Florida and University of South Florida. The FKL courses are designed to provide you with a diversity of ideas, concepts, and ways of knowing and acquiring new knowledge. It emphasizes inquiry as the means of developing complex intellectual skills that enable you to become a critical thinker, concerned citizen, and successful professional.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the University's FKL requirements for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Courses that meet the state mandated common prerequisites may also meet the USF FKL requirements. Students will find a list of FKL courses approved that also meet the College of Nursing requirements. Students with a Florida community college A.A. degree (other than in nursing) or with a baccalaureate degree will be considered to have met all of the USF General Education requirements. A grade of 'C-' or better is required in the FKL courses and a grade of 'C' or better for all nursing pre-requisite courses:
- Fine Arts (3 Credit Hours)
- Humanities (6 Credit Hours)
- Human and Cultural Diversity in a Global Context (3 Credit Hours)
- English Composition (6 Credit Hours)
- Natural Science (6 Credit Hours)
- Social and Behavioral Science (6 Credit Hours)
Six credits of the above coursework must be completed in Human and Historical Context and Process Courses. All students are required to meet the university requirements for foreign language. Please consult the catalog for specific requirements.
Final admission to all nursing programs is conditional upon passing a Level 2 background check.
All admitted nursing students are required to complete a Background Check, Immunization Verification, and Drug Screening. Admitted students will be provided with the steps to complete this process.
First week of class
MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tdap Booster (Documentation), TB Skin Test, CPR Certification (American Heart Association), Flu Shot
Note: This requirement is not the same as the USF Student Health Services (USF Health Form) and cannot be submitted as a substitute.