The VCARE sequence allows service members and veterans with medical training experience as medics or corpsmen the opportunity to receive a bachelor's of science degree with a major in nursing. The VCARE sequence is typically completed in four consecutive semesters (after pre-requisites, Foreign Language, and FKL requirements). Graduates may then take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to earn their RN license. Pre-requisites can be completed at any regionally accredited college/university with completion of nursing coursework at the Tampa campus.
The VCARE sequence is a full-time limited access program, as mandated by the state, and is structured sequentially. Admission is competitive. Applicants must meet the following requirements before applying for the VCARE sequence:
- Acceptance at the USF Tampa Undergraduate Admissions office as a pre-nursing student. (Students must have USF Tampa Campus as the home campus.)
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher on all undergraduate work. (Be sure to include your medical training on the USF application as noted on your SMART/ACE transcript).
- Completion of the University’s foreign language entrance requirement
- Pre-requisite courses must be completed by the intended term of entry into the nursing program (listed below, with USF equivalencies). A grade of 'C' or better is required:
- English Composition I and II (6) ENC 1101 and ENC 1102
- Gordon Rule Math (College Algebra or Finite Math preferred) (3) - MAC 1105 or MGF 1106
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4) BSC 2085/L
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4) BSC 2086/L
- Any three credit class in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, or Physics (3) - (CHMXXXX, BCHXXXX, BSCXXXX, PHYXXXX, or PCBXXXX)
- Life Span (Human Growth and Development) (3) - DEP 2004
- Human Nutrition (3) - HUN 2201
- Microbiology with lab (4) - MCB 2000/L
- Statistics (3) STA 2122
- Psychology (3) (PSYXXXX, SYGXXXX, or SOPXXXX)
- Starting admissions cycle Fall 2017, the writing sample requirement will be replaced by an interview with College of Nursing faculty in the admissions process. Updated 9/8/16
Admissions decisions will be based on cumulative undergraduate GPA, first-attempt grades in the pre-requisites, a resume, and the interview (formerly the writing sample) to identify motivations for pursuing nursing and professional approaches to scenarios.
Applicants with completed pre-requisites may be eligible for admission to Fall VCARE Sequence. Students who do not have all pre-requisite courses completed by Fall admission cycle, may be eligible for conditional admission to a later VCARE Sequence.
NOTE: Final admissions to all nursing programs is conditional upon passing a Level 2 background check. See the Important Notification below for complete details. The background check must be completed at the applicant’s expense in accordance with the College of Nursing policy and procedures on background checks and drug screenings.
USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirements:
The Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum is a program of general education courses required by the State of Florida and University of South Florida. The FKL courses are designed to provide you with a diversity of ideas, concepts, and ways of knowing and acquiring new knowledge. It emphasizes inquiry as the means of developing complex intellectual skills that enable you to become a critical thinker, concerned citizen, and successful professional.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the University's FKL requirements for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Courses that meet the state mandated common prerequisites may also meet the USF FKL requirements. Students will find a list of FKL courses approved that also meet the College of Nursing requirements. Students with a Florida community college A.A. degree (other than in nursing) or with a baccalaureate degree will be considered to have met all of the USF General Education requirements. A grade of 'C-' or better is required in the FKL courses and a grade of 'C' or better for all nursing pre-requisite courses:
- Fine Arts (3 Credit Hours)
- Humanities (6 Credit Hours)
- Human and Cultural Diversity in a Global Context (3 Credit Hours)
- English Composition (6 Credit Hours)
- Natural Science (6 Credit Hours)
- Social and Behavioral Science (6 Credit Hours)
Six credits of the above coursework must be completed in Human and Historical Context and Process Courses. All students are required to meet the university requirements for foreign language. Please consult the catalog for specific requirements.
Final admission to all nursing programs is conditional upon passing a Level 2 background check.
All admitted nursing students are required to complete a Background Check, Immunization Verification, and Drug Screening. Admitted students will be provided with the steps to complete this process.
First week of class
MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tdap Booster (Documentation), TB Skin Test, CPR Certification (American Heart Association), Flu Shot
Note: This requirement is not the same as the USF Student Health Services (USF Health Form) and cannot be submitted as a substitute.