The Upper Division sequence allows students to receive a bachelor’s of science degree with a major in nursing. This sequence offers courses at the Tampa campus and is typically completed in six consecutive semesters (after pre-requisites). Graduates may then take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX).
The Upper Division sequence is limited access and admission is competitive. Applicants must meet the following requirements before applying for the Upper Division sequence:
Acceptance at the USF Tampa Undergraduate admissions office as a pre-nursing student. (Students must have USF Tampa Campus as the home campus.) An overall GPA of 3.20 or higher on all undergraduate work.
Completion of pre-requisite courses by the application deadline for the intended term of entry (listed below, with USF equivalencies). A grade of ‘C’ or better is required:
- English Composition I and II (6) ENC 1101 and ENC 1102
- Gordon Rule Math (Algebra or Finite Math preferred) (3) - MAC 1105 or MGF 1106
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I (4) BSC 2085/L
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4) BSC 2086/L
- Any three credit class in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, or Physics (3) - (CHMXXXX, BCHXXXX, BSCXXXX, PHYXXXX, or PCBXXXX)
- Life Span (Human Growth and Development) (3) - DEP 2004
- Human Nutrition (3) - HUN 2201
- Microbiology with lab (4) - MCB 2000/L
- Statistics (3) STA 2122
- Psychology (3) (PSYXXXX, SYGXXXX, or SOPXXXX)
Students will be considered only if all of the above criteria is met. Admission is based on cumulative GPA, first-attempt grades in pre-requisites, and a writing sample identifying students motivations for nursing, plans for academic success, and relevant leadership, volunteer, or work experience to nursing.
USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirements:
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the University’s FKL requirements for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students should contact their academic advisor for the list of FKL courses approved to meet the College of Nursing requirements. Courses that meet the state mandated common prerequisites may also meet the USF FKL requirements. Students with a Florida community college A.A. degree (other than in nursing) will be considered to have met all of the USF General Education requirements. A grade of 'C-' or better is required in the FKL courses:
- Fine Arts (3 Credit Hours)
- Humanities (6 Credit Hours)
- Human and Cultural Diversity in a Global Context (3 Credit Hours)
- English Composition (6 Credit Hours)
- Natural Science (6 Credit Hours)
- Social and Behavioral Science (6 Credit Hours)
Six credits of the above coursework must be completed in Human and Historical Context and Process Courses. All students are required to meet the university requirements for foreign language. Please consult the catalog for specific requirements.
For More Information:
The College of Nursing Office of Undergraduate Programs offers prospective students a number of ways to get more information about our programs. Please click on the links below to find the best way to get your questions answered: