The Second Bachelor's Degree Sequence (SBN) is for students who have a baccalaureate degree in another field and a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00. Students with an awarded Bachelor's degree and who have completed all the nursing pre-requisite courses may be considered for admission into the Second Bachelor's Degree sequence; upon completion, students will earn a second bachelor's degree. This is a full-time limited access program, as mandated by the state, and is structured sequentially. Admission is competitive.
Undergraduate Admission to the College of Nursing is a limited access program and uses selective criteria for the admission of students. Any student who applies to the undergraduate program at the College of Nursing is initially coded as “pre-nursing” prior to official acceptance to the College of Nursing. Admissions are determined on the basis of availability of sufficient qualified faculty, laboratory and classroom facilities, and clinical teaching resources. Final admission to all nursing programs is conditional upon passing a Level 2 background check. See the Important Notification below for complete details. The background check must be completed at the applicant's expense in accordance with the College of Nursing policy and procedures on background checks and drug screening.
- Admission to the University of South Florida
- Application to the College of Nursing prior to the published deadline for the intended term of entry
- Completion of all nursing pre-requisite courses by the published deadline for the intended term of entry
- Completion of first bachelor's degree, from a regionally accredited institution, by the published application deadline for the intended term of entry
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate work
- Submission of a personal statement and responses to admission questions. See the Application Requirements document for more information
Students must be admitted by the USF Tampa Undergraduate admissions office as a pre-nursing student. (Students must have USF Tampa Campus as the home campus.)
The state-mandated nursing common pre-requisites are required to be completed before the published application deadline for the intended term of entry. A grade of 'C' or better is required.
- BSC X085C Human Anatomy & Physiology I or any Human Anatomy & Physiology I course, 4 semester hours
- BSC X086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II or any Human Anatomy & Physiology II course, 4 semester hours
- CHM, BSC, PHY, PCB, BCH XXXX Any Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Biochemistry course, 3 semester hours
- DEP X004 Human Growth & Development or any Human Growth & Development course, 3 semester hours
- HUN X201 Human Nutrition or any Human Nutrition course OR NUR 1192, 3 semester hours
- MCB X010C Microbiology or Any Microbiology course, 4 semester hours
- PSY, SYG, or SOP XXXX Any Psychology, Sociology, or Social Psychology course, 3 semester hours
- STA X014 Statistics or any Statistics course, 3 semester hours
NOTE: Students will be considered only if all of the above criteria are met. Admission is based on cumulative GPA, first-attempt grades in pre-requisites, and a writing sample identifying student's motivations for nursing, and professional approach to potential clinical scenarios
All students who are admitted to the College of Nursing are required to complete a Background Check, Immunization Verification, and Drug Screening for the College of Nursing via CertifiedProfile.com
- The requirements are as follows: MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Documentation of a Tdap booster, TB skin test, CPR certification from the American Heart Association, and a flu shot.
- All requirements must be completed by the first week of class.
- The CertifiedProfile account must be created with a USF Health email address (Only available to students are who have been admitted to the College of Nursing).
For CertifiedProfile.com questions please contact the CertifiedProfile Service Desk at (888) 914-7279 or email@example.com.
USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirements
The University's Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirements and College of Nursing's prerequisite/support courses may be completed through the A.A. degree from a Florida College System institution. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. The A.A. degree satisfies admission requirements only if courses are carefully selected and include the required major prerequisite/support courses.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirement for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students must complete the prerequisite courses listed below prior to being admitted to the Upper Division sequence except those students in the C.A.R.E. program. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher. All courses not approved by the Florida State Course Numbering System (includes all Florida public colleges, universities, and College System institutions) used to satisfy these prerequisite requirements will be evaluated individually on the basis of content and will require a catalog course description and a copy of the syllabus for assessment.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the University's FKL requirements for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students should contact their academic advisor for the list of FKL courses approved to meet the College of Nursing requirements. Courses that meet the state mandated common prerequisites may also meet the USF FKL requirements. Students with a Florida community college A.A. degree (other than in nursing) will be considered to have met all of the USF General Education requirements.