Purpose and Objectives
The purpose of this program leading to the degree of Doctorate of Nursing Practice is to prepare the graduate for advanced independent clinical practice. Nursing practice, as defined by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) (2004), refers to any nursing intervention that influences health care outcomes for individuals or populations. Objectives for the program are based upon recommendations for essential curriculum elements as identified by the AACN.
Upon completion of the program the graduate will be able to:
- Promote evidence-based practice based on synthesis of the most current research relevant to advanced nursing practice.
- Ensure excellence in written and oral communication emphasizing opportunities for publishing and presenting in areas of expertise locally and nationally.
- Prepare leaders to implement and evaluate evidence-based practice.
- Create an environment that enhances the use of translational research to solve practice problems and improve health outcomes.
- Ensure excellence in the dissemination of findings from evidence-based practice at the national and international levels.