HCC/USF Concurrent Sequence
The Hillsborough Community College (HCC)/University of South Florida (USF) Concurrent Sequence allows students to enroll in select RN to BS courses at USF as a non-degree student (beginning in Spring of Year 1) while completing the ASN degree at HCC. Students will remain in non-degree status at USF until awarded the ASN. After graduating from HCC’S ASN program, students will be eligible to sit for the national licensure exam for registered nurses (NCLEX-RN).Criteria for Admissions:
- Students must complete the steps for admission as a degree seeking student at HCC before they may be considered for the Concurrent Program.
- Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0.
- Students must meet the definition of residency at each institution to qualify for in-state tuition.
- Student must be admitted into HCC’s nursing program.
- Students must be admitted as non-degree seeking students into USF and be eligible for admission as a degree seeking student into USF’s College of Nursing upon completion of the ASN portion of the Concurrent Program.
- Maintain active enrollment status at both institutions
- Comply with your designated plan of study*
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 for admissions into the concurrent program
- Comply with each institution’s policy regarding progression & compliance
- Acquire a valid RN license within 3 months of completion of the ASN**
* If students are not successful in following the plan of study, they can no longer remain in the concurrent program.
** If you are not able to obtain a valid RN license within 3 months of completing the ASN, you will be unable to take the remaining RN-BS courses at USF until you have successfully passed. Students who are off plan for the HCC/USF Concurrent program will no longer be able to remain in the Concurrent Program but can apply for the RN-BS program at USF through Undergraduate Admissions and the College of Nursing.
- The state-mandated nursing common pre-requisites are required to be completed before the published application deadline for the intended term of entry. A grade of 'C' or better is required.
- BSC X085C Human Anatomy & Physiology I or any Human Anatomy & Physiology I course, 4 semester hours
- BSC X086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II or any Human Anatomy & Physiology II course, 4 semester hours
- CHM, BSC, PHY, PCB, BCH XXXX Any Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Biochemistry course, 3 semester hours
- DEP X004 Human Growth & Development course, 3 semester hours
- HUN X201 Human Nutrition or any Human Nutrition course OR NUR 1192, 3 semester hours
- MCB X010C Microbiology or Any Microbiology course, 4 semester hours
- PSY, SYG, or SOP XXXX Any Psychology, Sociology, or Social Psychology course, 3 semester hours
- STA X014 Statistics or any Statistics course, 3 semester hours
All admitted nursing students are required to complete a Background Check, Immunization Verification, and Drug Screening. Admitted students will be provided with the steps to complete this process.
||First week of class|
|MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tdap Booster (Documentation), TB Skin Test, CPR Certification (American Heart Association), Flu Shot
USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) RequirementsThe University's Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirements and College of Nursing's prerequisite/support courses may be completed through the A.A. degree from a Florida College System institution. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. The A.A. degree satisfies admission requirements only if courses are carefully selected and include the required major prerequisite/support courses.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the University's FKL requirements for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students should contact their Academic Advisor for the list of FKL courses approved to meet the College of Nursing requirements. Courses that meet the state mandated common prerequisites may also meet the USF FKL requirements. Students with a Florida community college A.A. degree (other than in nursing) will be considered to have met all of the USF General Education requirements.
- English Composition (6)
- Fine Arts (3)
- Human and Cultural Diversity in a Global Context (3)
- Humanities (6)
- Mathematics OR (3) Mathematics AND (3) Quantitative Reasoning (6)
- Natural Sciences (Life Science) (3)
- Natural Sciences (Physical Science) (3)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (6)
For More Information
The College of Nursing offers prospective students a number of ways to obtain more information about our programs:
- Submit a Question: Ask a question, get an answer.
- Live Information Sessions: Attend a live information session at the College of Nursing.
- Contact us via email or phone with further questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 974-2191
All information is for informational purposes only and is superseded by the catalog for your intended term of entry.