USF HEALTH RESEARCH DAY
February 22, 2013
In addition, COPH students also participated in our occupational health and safety section of Research Day, which included 21 posters from USF students and faculty affiliated with our Sunshine ERC occupational safety, occupational health nursing, occupational medicine, industrial hygiene and occupational health psychology programs. In addition, students and faculty from UPR, UF and FIU presented 17 posters. The website for the Sunshine ERC section of Research Day 2013 can be accessed at http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/erc/Research_Day_2013.htm
Oral Presentations:For the sixth consecutive year, USF Health Research Day included an oral presentation session, with a total of 11 presenters from USF Health Colleges of Public Health, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. Three COPH graduate students were selected to participate in this prestigious session. These COPH students and their abstract titles include:
- Evelyn Anegbe, Dept. of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, "Prostate Cancer Treatment and Outcomes: 20-Year Experience at a Single Cancer Center"
- Andrea Bingham, Dept. of Global Health, "Development of a Mosquito Trap that Uses Sugar Feeding to Detect Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus"
- Shabnam Mehra, Dept. of Environmental & Occupational Health, "SAS and Excel Go Hand in Hand for Automation: Data Management to Policy Reports"
In addition, Sarah Maness, in the Department of Community & Family Health, received another interdisciplinary research day prize: The Pediatric Administrators Awards for Best Presentation on Children's Health, which was established by Dr. Robert Nelson. Her abstract title was: A Systematic Review of Pregnancy Prevention Programs for Minority Youth in the U.S.: A Critical Analysis and Recommendations for Improvement.
The following graduate COPH students received awards for outstanding poster presentations:
- Margeaux Chavez, Dept. of Community & Family Health, "Evaluating the Impact of Urban Agriculture on Food Accessibility through GIS Modeling: An Assets-based Approach to Food Desert Research"
- Korede Adegoke, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, "Spousal violence and unwanted pregnancy among married Nigerian women"
- Pamela Guevara, Dept. of Community & Family Health, "Binge Drinking and Risky Sex among Adolescents: An Application of Structural Equation Modeling"
- Jennifer Sedillo, Dept. of Global Health, "Identification of a novel MAPK phosphatase in Plasmodium falciparum"
- Blake Barrett, Dept. of Community & Family Health, "Do drug court participants reduce their levels of substance use over time, and does this differ by younger and older adults? Application of a mixed-effect, mixed-distribution model"
- Christopher Campbell, Department of Global Health, "MAPK-like Phosphatase for Antimalarial Drug Discovery"
- Mahmooda Khaliq Pasha, Dept. of Community & Family Health, "Contraceptive Use: An Analysis of the 2011 Uganda Demographic and Health Survey"
The complete on line booklet for USF Health Research Day 2013, including the names of all student participants and their abstracts, can be found at: 2013 USF Health Research Day Virtual Book . A story about the USF Health research day can be found at : 2013 USF Health Research Day News Story
Selected photos are provided below and a COPH photo gallery can be accessed at: USFHealthResearchDay2013