Phone: (813) 974-2519
- Assessment and management of common disabling conditions in older adults
- Relationships between vision and cognitive impairment in older adults
- Educating caregivers and assessing their ability to recognize and manage common disabling conditions in older adults with cognitive impairments
- 2008-2009 Funder: Lucille Beeson Trust, Co-Investigator: "Vision Screening Program for Older Adults Residing in Assisted Living and Senior Housing Facilities in Jefferson County."
- 2008-2009 Funder: Prevent Blindness America, Co-Investigator: "Vision Impairment and Eye Care Utilization Among Older Adults Residing in Assisted Living."
- 2003-2006 Funders: John A Hartford Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity Pre-doctoral Award and T32 National Institute on Aging Predoctoral Training Program in Aging University of Florida, Principal Investigator: "Assessing and Treating Chronic Pain in Community-Dwelling Older Adults with Dementia: A Single-Subject Approach."
Education and Background
- Elliott, A.F., Davidson, A., Lum, F., Chiang, M., Saaddine, J., Zhang, X., Crews, J., & Chou, C. (in press). Using electronic health records and administrative data for public health surveillance of eye health and vision related conditions in the United States. American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Elliott, A.F., Dreer, L., McGwin, G., & Owsley C. (2010). The personal burden of decreased vision-targeted health-related quality of life in nursing home residents. Journal of Aging and Health, 22(4), 504-521.
- Elliott, A.F., Burgio, L. D., & DeCoster, J. (2010). Enhancing caregiver health: Findings from the Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer's Caregiver Health (REACH) II Intervention. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58(1), 30-37.
- Elliott, A.F., & Horgas, A. L. (2009). Effects of an analgesic trial in reducing pain behaviors in community-dwelling older adults with dementia. Nursing Research, 58 (2), 140-145.
- Elliott, A.F., McGwin, G., & Owsley, C. (2009). Vision-enhancing interventions in nursing home residents and their short-term impact on physical and cognitive function. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57(2), 202-208.
- Elliott, A.F., McGwin, G., & Owsley, C. (2009). Health-related quality of life and visual and cognitive impairment among nursing home residents. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 93, 240-243.
- Elliott, A.F., Horgas, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2008). Nurses' role in identifying mild cognitive impairment in older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 29(1), 38-47.
- 2009-2010 ORISE Fellow, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Diabetes Translation, Vision Health Initiative. Supervisor: Dr. Jinan Saaddine.
- 2007-2009 Post Doctoral Fellowship, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology. Mentor: Dr. Cynthia Owsley
- 2006-2007 Post Doctoral Fellowship, University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, Center for Mental Health and Aging. Mentor: Dr. Louis Burgio
- 2001-2006 PhD, University of Florida, College of Nursing; Minor in Gerontology
- 2001-2002 MSN, University of Florida, College of Nursing; Adult Nurse Practitioner
- 1997-2001 BSN, University of Florida, College of Nursing; Graduated with Honors
- Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner, state of Florida (ARNP 9180080)