Basics Nutrition Guidelines for Diabetes
- Eat three meals per day. At each meal, eat enough that you don’t feel hungry at the end of the meal.
NO SECOND HELPINGS!
- Avoid snacking between meals. Snacking can lead to overeating and high blood sugars.
- Check your blood sugar before you eat or snack. Sometimes low symptoms are misleading. It is best to know your number before eating
A simple rule when serving your plate:
- Limit starches to ¼ of your plate.
- Fill ½ your plate with colorful non starchy vegetables.
- Meat should be only ¼ of your plate.
- Be aware of fat …each teaspoon of fat has nearly 50 calories!
- Don’t drink your calories, chew and swallow them!
- Eat fresh fruit rather than juice.
- Be cautious with milk. Milk contains calories from sugar.
Recipes on the Web
Diabetes Control for Life / Glucerna - Diabetes Control for Life has merged with Glucerna.com to give you an exciting new way to balance your diabetes and lifestyle. On this new site, you'll find old favorites mixed with new, helpful features
Plan Your Plate!
Idaho Plate Method
Fit4AllKids at All Children's Hospital
A task force of pediatric physicians, dietitians, physical therapists, educators and advocates spent a year developing Fit4Allkids to help children maintain a healthy weight and body size, and be more active and fit. The program encourages children to do their personal best and reach their own individual goals for weight loss/weight management and physical activity.