Charles Cox, MD
Professor, College Of Medicine Surgery
Endowed Chair, College Of Medicine Surgery
3000 Medical Park Dr
Tampa, FL 33613
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MD, University Of Utah, 1975
"We believe that each patient deserves a team of clinicians and support personnel to achieve the best outcome during the stressful and often overwhelming time of diagnosis, treatment and recovery."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Cancer Biology
- Women & Children's Health
- We are committed to finding new methods of treatment and improving breast health care for current and future patients. Please visit our publications page to see some of our landmark studies and other important research findings. Our goal is to find and develop best practices for breast cancer treatment and to provide valuable insight for physicians and patients around the world. We do this with a dedicated group of physicians and research staff, involved in suggesting and developing new research ideas and projects. This strong collaboration has helped countless patients receive better breast health care.
- Cox CE Fernandez A Tummel E Betzold R Zhang WW Prowler V Chipko J Jung M Vice M Shivers SC. Breast-Conserving Therapy for Breast Cancer, In: Adam A. Riker (ed), Breast Disease: Comprehensive Management. Springer. : pp 199-214. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4939-1145-5_13
- Cox CE Garcia-Henriquez N Glancy MJ Whitworth P Cox JM Themar-Geck M Prati R Jung M
Russell S Appleton K King J Shivers SC. Pilot Study of a New Nonradioactive Surgical Guidance Technology for Locating Nonpalpable Breast Lesions. Ann Surg Oncol.. 23(6) : 1824-30, 2016.
- Lengacher CA, Reich RR, Paterson CL, Ramesar S, Park JY, Alinat C, Johnson-Mallard V, Moscoso M, Budhrani-Shani P, Miladinovic B, Jacobsen PB, Cox CE, Goodman M, Kip KE. Examination of Broad Symptom Improvement Resulting From Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 34(24) : 2827-34, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27247219
- Cox CE, Garcia-Henriquez N, Glancy MJ, Whitworth P, Cox JM, Themar-Geck M, Prati R, Jung M, Russell S, Appleton K, King J, Shivers SC. Pilot Study of a New Nonradioactive Surgical Guidance Technology for Locating Nonpalpable Breast Lesions. Annals of surgical oncology. 23(6) : 1824-30, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26847680
- Cox CE, Russell S, Prowler V, Carter E, Beard A, Mehindru A, Blumencranz P, Allen K, Portillo M, Whitworth P, Funk K, Barone J, Norton D, Schroeder J, Police A, Lin E, Combs F, Schnabel F, Toth H, Lee J, Anglin B, Nguyen M, Canavan L, Laidley A, Warden MJ, Prati R, King J, Shivers SC. A Prospective, Single Arm, Multi-site, Clinical Evaluation of a Nonradioactive Surgical Guidance Technology for the Location of Nonpalpable Breast Lesions during Excision. Annals of surgical oncology. 23(10) : 3168-74, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27469121
- Simmons RM Ballman KV Cox C Carp N Sabol J Hwang RF Attai D Sabel M Nathanson D Kenler A Gold L Kaufman C Han L Bleznak A Stanley Smith J Holmes D Fornage B Le-Petross C Hoda S McCall L Hunt KK; ACOSOG investigators. A Phase II Trial Exploring the Success of Cryoablation Therapy in the Treatment of Invasive Breast Carcinoma: Results from ACOSOG (Alliance) Z1072. Ann Surg Oncol.. 23(8) : 2438-45, 2016.
- Atisha DM Rushing CN Samsa GP Locklear TD Cox CE Hwang ES Zenn MR Pusic AL Abernethy AP. A National Snapshot of Satisfaction with Breast Cancer Procedures. Annals of Suurgical Oncology. 22: 361-369, 2015.
- Reich RR Lengacher CA Kip KE Shivers SC Schell MJ Shelton MM Widen RH Newton C Barta MK Paterson CL Farias JR Cox CE Klein TW. Baseline Immune Biomarkers as Predictors of MBSR(BC) Treatment Success in Off-Treatment Breast Cancer Patients. Biological research for nursing. 16(4) : 429-437, 2014.
- Kiluk JV Pwoler V Lee MC Khakpour N Larong C Cox CE. Contralateral axillary nodal involvement from invasive breast cancer. The Breast.. 23: 291-294, 2014.
- Sapino A, Roepman P, Linn SC, Snel MH, Delahaye LJ, van den Akker J, Glas AM, Simon IM, Barth N, de Snoo FA, van 't Veer LJ, Molinaro L, Berns EM, Wesseling J, Riley LB, Anderson D, Nguyen B, Cox CE. MammaPrint molecular diagnostics on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics : JMD. 16(2) : 190-7, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24378251
- Reich RR, Lengacher CA, Kip KE, Shivers SC, Schell MJ, Shelton MM, Widen RH, Newton C, Barta MK, Paterson CL, Farias JR, Cox CE, Klein TW. Baseline immune biomarkers as predictors of MBSR(BC) treatment success in off-treatment breast cancer patients. Biological Research for Nursing. 16(4) : 429-37, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24477514
- Matz D1, Kerivan L, Reintgen M, Akman K, Lozicki A, Causey T, Clynes C, Giuliano R, Acs G, Cox J, Cox C, Reintgen D. Breast preservation in women with giant juvenile fibroadenoma. Clin Breast Cancer.. 13(3) : 219-22, 2013.
- Kaur Paramjeet Santillan Alfredo McGuire Kandace Turaga Kiran Shamehdi Corinne Meade Tammi
Ramos Daniel Mathias Morgan Parbhoo Jateen Davis Michelle Khakpour Nazanin King Jeff Balducci Lodovico Cox CE. The Surgical Treatment of Breast Cancer in the Elderly: A Single Institution Comparative Review of 5235 Patients with 1028 Patients > 70 years. The Breast Journal. 18(5) : DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-4741.2012.01272.x, 2012.
- Chen K Zeng Y Jia H Jia W Yang H Rao N Song E Cox CE Su F. Clinical Outcomes of Breast
Conserving Surgery in Patients Using a Modified Method for Cavity Margin Assessment. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 19(11) : 3386-3394 DOI 10.1245/s10434-012-2331-5, 2012.
- Hunt KK Ballman KV McCall LM Boughey JC Mittendorf EA Cox CE Whitworth PW Beitsch
PD Leitch AM Buchholz TA Morrow MA Giuliano AE. Factors associated with local-regional
recurrence after a negative sentinel node dissection: results of the ACOSOG Z0010 trial. Annals of Surgery. 256: 428-436, 2012.
- Munster PN Moore AP Ismail-Khan R Cox CE Lacevic M Gross-King M Xu P Carter WB Minton
SE. Reply to Z. Blumenfeld and F. Tomao et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 30(26) : 3312-3313, 2012.
- Munster PN Moore AP Ismail-Khan R Cox CE Lacevic M Gross-King M Xu P Carter WB Minton
SE. Randomized trial using gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist triptorelin for the preservation of
ovarian function during (neo)adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 30: 533-538, 2012.
- Kaur P McGuire K Meade T Ramos D Mathias M Parbhoo J Davis M Shamehdi C Santillan AA
Khakpour N King J Balducci L Cox CE. Review of Surgical Treatment and Mortality in 1,028 Breast
Cancer Patients 70 Years or Older at the Time of Surgery: A Single Institution Study. The Breast Journal,. 18(5) , 2012.
- Murray L1, Reintgen M, Akman K, Cox C, Cox J, Reintgen D, Greenberg H, Vrcel V. Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ: treatment options for a new pathologic entity. Clin Breast Cancer.. 1(12) : 76-9, 2012.
- Munster PN, Moore AP, Ismail-Khan R, Cox CE, Lacevic M, Gross-King M, Xu P, Carter WB, Minton SE. Randomized trial using gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist triptorelin for the preservation of ovarian function during (neo)adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 30(5) : 533-8, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22231041
- Chen K, Zeng Y, Jia H, Jia W, Yang H, Rao N, Song E, Cox CE, Su F. Clinical outcomes of breast-conserving surgery in patients using a modified method for cavity margin assessment. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 19(11) : 3386-94, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22488098
- Kaur P, Santillan AA, McGuire K, Turaga KK, Shamehdi C, Meade T, Ramos D, Mathias M, Parbhoo J, Davis M, Khakpour N, King J, Balducci L, Cox CE. The surgical treatment of breast cancer in the elderly: a single institution comparative review of 5235 patients with 1028 patients ≥70 years. The breast journal. 18(5) : 428-35, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22957995
- Hunt KK, Ballman KV, McCall LM, Boughey JC, Mittendorf EA, Cox CE, Whitworth PW, Beitsch PD, Leitch AM, Buchholz TA, Morrow MA, Giuliano AE. Factors associated with local-regional recurrence after a negative sentinel node dissection: results of the ACOSOG Z0010 trial. Annals of surgery. 256(3) : 428-36, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22868365
- Cox CE Shamehdi C. Localization of nonpalpable breast cancer using a radiolabel titanium seed: Wire. Invited Commentary Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly. 22, 2011.
- Cox CE Shamehdi C. The axilla with radioactive iodine seeds (MARI procedure” may reduce the need for axillary dissection after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer.Invited Commentary Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly. 22, 2011.
- Keshtgar M, Zaknun JJ, Sabih D, Lago G, Cox CE, Leong SP, Mariani G. Implementing sentinel lymph node biopsy programs in developing countries: challenges and opportunities. World journal of surgery. 35(6) : 1159-68; discussion 1155-8, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21267566
- Cox CE, Shamehdi C, Glancy J. Sentinel node micrometastasis in breast cancer: clinically significant or not? The Breast Journal. 17(4) : 335-6, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21752136
- Kaur P, Kiluk JV, Meade T, Ramos D, Koeppel W, Jara J, King J, Cox CE. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in patients with previous ipsilateral complete axillary lymph node dissection. Annals of surgical oncology. 18(3) : 727-32, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20593244
- Kaur P Kiluk JV Meade T Ramos D Koeppel W Jara J King J Cox CE. Sentinel lymph node biopsy
in patients with previous ipsilateral complete axillary lymph node dissection. Ann of Surg Onc.. 18(3) : 727-32, 2011.
- Lee MC, Eatrides J, Chau A, Han G, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Cox CE, Carter WB, Laronga C. Consequences of axillary ultrasound in patients with T2 or greater invasive breast cancers. Annals of surgical oncology. 18(1) : 72-7, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20585876
- Kiluk JV, Kaur P, Meade T, Ramos D, Morelli D, King J, Cox CE. Effects of prior augmentation and reduction mammoplasty to sentinel node lymphatic mapping in breast cancer. The Breast Journal. 16(6) : 598-602, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21070436
- Jakub JW Gray RJ Degnim AC Boughey JC Gardner M Cox CE. Current status of radioactive seed for localization of non palpable breast lesions Am J Surg.. 199(4) : 522-8, 2010.