Peter Nelson, MD, MS
Assoc Professor, College Of Medicine Surgery
Assoc Professor, College Of Medicine Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
2 Tampa General Circle
Tampa, FL 33606
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MS, Clinical Investigation, Univ. Florida, 2008
- MD, Medicine, University Of Massachusetts Medical School, 1992
- MD, Medicine, Univ. Massachusetts, 1992
"To promote novel research and innovation in the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery and facilitate these activities throughout the Department of Surgery."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Vascular Surgery research at USF spans the gamut from basic and translational science to clinical trials to outcomes and health policy research. The translational activities focus on the impact of systemic inflammation on outcomes following lower extremity revascularization. High throughput genomic and proteomic strategies are used to define inflammatory profiles predictive of success and failure following lower extremity stenting or bypass. Clinical trials include all new endovascular devices available aimed at the treatment of aortic pathologies peripheral intervention and venous disease. This includes training activities at CAMLS as new devices are rolled out by industry and the FDA. Finally outcomes research using both the Florida State AHCA database and the VA SQIP database will add significant new knowledge to vascular surgical trends and outcomes and will direct new health policy in the Tampa Bay area and beyond.
- Bass HM, Beard RS, Cha BJ, Yuan SY, Nelson PR. Thrombomodulin Induces a Quiescent Phenotype and Inhibits Migration in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells In Vitro. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 30: 149-56, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26549810
- Desart K O’Malley K Schmitt B Hong M Restreppo C Lopez MC Moldawer LL Baker HV Berceli SA
Nelson PR. Systemic Inflammation as a Predictor of Clinical Outcomes Following Lower Extremity
Angioplasty/Stenting. J Vasc Surg. , 2015.
- Illig KA, Gabbard W, Calero A, Bailey C, Shames M, Armstrong P, Nelson PR. Aggressive Costoclavicular Junction Decompression in Patients with Threatened AV Access. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 29(4) : 698-703, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25724289
- Rehfuss J He Y Schmit B Nelson PR Berceli SA Scali S. The Correlation Between CT and Duplex
Evaluation of Vein Bypass Grafts and Their Relationship to Graft Failure. J Vasc Surg. 62: 1546-1554, 2015.
- Lugo J Tanious A Armstrong PO Back MR Johnson BL Shames ML Moudgill N Nelson PR Illig K. Acute Paget-Schroetter Syndrome: Does the First Rib routinely need to be removed after Thrombolysis? Ann Vasc Surg. 29: 1073-1077, 2015.
- Lee C, Nelson PR. Effect of cilostazol prescribed in a pragmatic treatment program for intermittent claudication. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. 48(3) : 224-9, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24399131
- Nelson PR, Kracjer Z, Kansal N, Rao V, Bianchi C, Hashemi H, Jones P, Bacharach JM. A multicenter, randomized, controlled trial of totally percutaneous access versus open femoral exposure for endovascular aortic aneurysm repair (the PEVAR trial). Journal of Vascular Surgery. 59(5) : 1181-93, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24440678
- Hong MS, Butler K, Fischer T, Nelson PR. Trends, Charges, and Outcomes in Endovascular
Therapy for Peripheral Arterial Disease in Florida J Vasc Surg. , 2014.
- Singh MJ, Ellozy S, Eskandari MK, Milner R, Fairman RM, Nelson PR. What is Your Preferred EVAR
Device and Why? Ask the Experts Endovasc Today. : 63-6, 2013.
- Allemang MT, Rajani RR, Nelson PR, Hingorani A, Kashyap VS. Prescribing patterns of antiplatelet agents are highly variable after lower extremity endovascular procedures. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 27(1) : 62-7, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22981017
- Butler K Scali ST Beck AW Feezor RJ Nelson PR Berceli SA Huber TS Chang CK. Functional
outcome and mortality after open and endovascular secondary intervention for thoracic endovascular
aortic repair. J Vasc Surg. 57: 293-294, 2013.
- Nelson PR, Starnes BW. Perspectives: PEVAR in Practice Endovasc Today. : 31-4, 2013.
- Friedell ML, Nelson PR, Cheatham ML. Vena cava filter practices of a regional vascular surgery society. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 26(5) : 630-5, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22664279
- Scali ST, Feezor RJ, Chang CK, Stone DH, Goodney PP, Nelson PR, Huber TS, Beck AW. Safety of elective management of synchronous aortic disease with simultaneous thoracic and aortic stent graft placement. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 56(4) : 957-64.e1, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22743020
- Peter R. Nelson, MD, MS, and Nikhil Kansal, MD. The Narrow Distal Aorta Endovascular Today. , 2012.
- Krajcer Z Nelson PR Bianchi C Rao V Morasch MD Bacharach JM. Percutaneous endovascular
abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: Methods and initial outcomes from the first prospective, multicenter trial. J Cardiovasc Surg. 52(5) : 651-9, 2011.
- Hong MS, Feezor RJ, Lee WA, Nelson PR. The advent of thoracic endovascular aortic repair is associated with broadened treatment eligibility and decreased overall mortality in traumatic thoracic aortic injury. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 53(1) : 36-42; discussion 43, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961728
- Hong MS, Beck AW, Nelson PR. Emerging national trends in the management and outcomes of lower extremity peripheral arterial disease. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 25(1) : 44-54, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21172580