Karl Illig, MD
Professor, College Of Medicine Surgery
Division Director, College Of Medicine Surgery
Director, Division of Vascular Surgery, College Of Medicine
Director, Division of Vascular Surgery, College of Medicine, USF
Division of Vascular Surgery
2 TGH Circle, STC 7016
Tampa, FL 33606
Academic Email: email@example.com
Academic Phone: (813) 259-0921
View My C.V.
- MD, Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, 1988
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- My research has recently focused on complex problems after AV access such as steal and central vein stenosis as well as issues surrounding thoracic outlet syndrome. I also am running a prospective randomized trial exploring the utility of specific case rehearsal prior to carotid endarterectomy.
- Florida Vascular Society (Secretary, 2016 - Present)
- American Surgical Association (Member, 2011 - Present)
- Vascular Access Society of America (Counselor-at-large, 2008 - Present)
- Society of University Surgeons (Member, 2007 - Present)
- Surgical Biology Club III (Member, 2006 - Present)
- Association for Chairs in Vascular Surgery (Member, 2005 - Present)
- International Society for Vascular Surgery (Member, 2004 - Present)
- Central Surgical Society (Member, 2002 - Present)
- Eastern Vascular Society (Member, 2000 - Present)
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow, 2000 - Present)
- American Venous Forum (Member, 2000 - Present)
- Society for Vascular Surgery (Distinguished Academic Fellow, 2000 - Present)
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgical Society (Past President, Member, 1997 - Present)
- Association for Academic Surgery (Member, 1995 - Present)
- Association of Military Surgeons of the United States (Member, 1991 - Present)
- Illig KA. Reply. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 63(6) : 1667, 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27230250
- Lugo J, Tanious A, Armstrong P, Back M, Johnson B, Shames M, Moudgill N, Nelson P, Illig KA. Acute Paget-Schroetter syndrome: does the first rib routinely need to be removed after thrombolysis? Annals of Vascular Surgery. 29(6) : 1073-7, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26001617
- Illig KA, Gabbard W, Calero A, Bailey C, Shames M, Armstrong P, Nelson PR. Aggressive Costoclavicular Junction Decompression in Patients with Threatened AV Access. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 29(4) : 698-703, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25724289
- Wooster M Powell A Back M Illig K Shames M. Axillary artery access as an adjunct for
complex endovascular aortic repair. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 29(8) : 1543-7, 2015.
- Illig KA, Ohki T, Hughes GC, Kato M, Shimizu H, Patel HJ, Shahriari A, Mehta S. One-year outcomes from the international multicenter study of the Zenith Alpha Thoracic Endovascular Graft for thoracic endovascular repair. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 62(6) : 1485-94.e2, 2015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26243206
- Powell A Gabbard W Cardentey-Oliva Armstrong P Shames M Nelson P Calero A Bailey C
Illig K. Long segment plication technique for AV fistulae threatened by diffuse aneurysmal
degeneration: Short-term results. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 29(6) : 1327-31, 2015.
- Davis GR, Illig KA, Yang G, Nguyen TH, Shames ML. An approach to EVAR simulation using patient specific modeling. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 28(7) : 1769-74, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24911807
- Leone JP, Glaser AD, Hufstetler R, Illig KA. Videoscopic basilic vein harvest for creation of transposed brachiobasilic arteriovenous fistulae. Vascular and endovascular surgery. 48(5-6) : 421-4, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25080451
- Carroll MI, Downes K, Miladinovic B, Illig KA, Armstrong PA, Back MR, Johnson BL, Shames ML. A single-institution experience: the integrated vascular surgery residency's effect on fellowship and general surgery resident case volume and diversity. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 28(1) : 253-9, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24161440
- Varble N, Day S, Phillips D, Mix D, Schwarz K, Illig KA, Chandra A. In vitro hemodynamic model of the arm arteriovenous circulation to study hemodynamics of native arteriovenous fistula and the distal revascularization and interval ligation procedure. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 59(5) : 1410-7, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23845661
- Illig KA, Kalata E, Reed A, Glass C, Gillespie DL. Recruiting strategies for potential 0+5 vascular residency applicants. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 26(1) : 1-9, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21764547
- Julliard W, Katzen J, Nabozny M, Young K, Glass C, Singh MJ, Illig KA. Long-term results of endoscopic versus open saphenous vein harvest for lower extremity bypass. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 25(1) : 101-7, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21172585
- Lee JT Dua M Chandra V Hernandez-Boussard TM Illig K. Surgery for thoracic outlet
syndrome: A nationwide perspective. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 53(6) : 100s-101s, 2011.
- Kumar NG, Dugan MM, Illig KA, Gillespie DL. Lower extremity arteriovenous fistula with central venous stenosis iliocaval stenting to treat venous outflow obstruction. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 53(2) : 487-8, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21093199
- Glass C, Bulter A, Deshmukh D, Illig K, Singh MJ. Midabdominal aortic coarctation presenting with severe pre-eclampsia. Journal of vascular surgery. 54(2) : 511-4, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21397437
- Glass C, Dugan M, Gillespie D, Doyle A, Illig K. Costoclavicular venous decompression in patients with threatened arteriovenous hemodialysis access. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 25(5) : 640-5, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21514107
- Sanchez LA Illig K Levy M Jaff M Trachiotis G Shanley C Irwin E Rossing M Kieval R
Cody RJ. Implantable carotid sinus stimulator for the treatment of resistant hypertension: Local
effects on carotid artery morphology. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 24(2) : 178-84, 2010.
- Young KC Awad N Johansson MJ Gillespie DL Singh MJ Illig KA. Cost-effectiveness of
abdominal aortic aneurysm repair based on aneurysm size. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 51(1) : 27-32, 2010.
- Illig KA. An improved method of exposure for transaxillary first rib resection. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 52(1) : 248-9, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20620771
- Keefer A, Hislop S, Singh MJ, Gillespie D, Illig KA. The influence of aneurysm size on anatomic suitability for endovascular repair. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 52(4) : 873-7, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20598473
- Young KC, Jahromi BS, Singh MJ, Illig KA, Benesch CG. Hospital resource use following carotid endarterectomy in 2006: analysis of the nationwide inpatient sample. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases : The official journal of National Stroke Association. 19(6) : 458-64, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20538482
- Glass C Porter J Singh M Gillespie M Young K Illig KA. A large scale study of the upper
arm basilic transposition for hemodialysis. Annals of Vascular Surgery. 24(1) : 85-91, 2010.