Do not let the 1,100 miles between Tampa Bay and Allentown deceive you. Although the distance between the two campuses seems vast, opportunities to immerse yourself in two distinct locations for your medical education is intimate. Both cities, offer our students rich experiences that cannot be matched by any other medical education program in the country. Discover why SELECT (Scholarly Excellence. Leadership Experiences. Collaborative Training.) students enjoy one of the best environments to live, work and play.
Tampa Bay, Florida
SELECT (Scholarly Excellence. Leadership Experiences. Collaborative Training.) students spend their first two years of the curriculum at the USF Morsani College of Medicine campus in Tampa, Florida. With an average temperature of 73 degrees Fahrenheit, 35 miles of white sandy beaches, and almost 240 days of sunshine, Tampa is a city where our students get to revel in the warmth of the sun, the soothing nature of the breeze and the sparkle of the turquoise water. Highlights of Tampa Bay include:
- Ahoy me lads 'n' lasses! Gasparilla, Tampa Bay’s illustrious Pirate festival of boats, parades, merriment and more, is a full week's worth of activities held throughout the city. Grab your Buccaneers and be ready for a swashbuckling good time.
- Looking for some thrills? Share adventures you’ll never forget at Busch Gardens and Adventure Island just minutes from USF. Challenge their coaster collection, get up close and personal with exotic animals, and cool off under a cabana after you conquer the waterslides. Need more wildlife? Swing over to Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo, or sea life at The Florida Aquarium.
- If sports are your game, look no further then the collegial and professional sports teams of Tampa Bay. Watch your USF Bulls stampede some of nation’s elite programs. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Tampa Bay Rays provide fans with plenty of excitement and awesome giveaways. Don’t forget about nearby Spring Training venues and BCS Bowl Games.
- Tampa’s abundant outdoor offerings and recreational facilities boast some of the best in the state. From swimming, boating, water skiing, fishing, golfing, biking, horseback riding, and kayaking; our students have a vast array of ways to play after a relaxing day at some of the world's top-rated beaches.
- Nightlife includes bars, dance clubs, coffee houses and multivenue complexes. Enjoy the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino or head over to Centro Ybor City and the Tampa Improv Comedy Theater & Restaurant for a night of side-splitting laughter.
- Tampa cherishes arts and history. Enjoy some of world’s most talented artists at the Tampa Museum of Art, performances at the David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts, learn the about the area history at the Tampa Bay History Center, or enhance your knowledge of science and industry at MOSI, the largest science center in the southeastern United States.
- If you need a weekend getaway feel free to hop aboard a cruise to Cozumel, Key West and the Caymans to name a few potential port possibilities.
The Tampa Bay area is the perfect environment to enjoy your medical education. For more information on ways to play, visit http://www.visittampabay.com.
Lehigh Valley, (Allentown, Bethlehem, & Easton) PennsylvaniaThe first two years is only half the fun you will experience as a SELECT (Scholarly Excellence, Leadership Experiences, Collaborative Training) medical student at USF. As student transition into their clerkship rotations, they move to Allentown, Pennsylvania and their new home at Lehigh Valley Health Network. With a half-million residents, Lehigh Valley is the third largest metropolitan region in Pennsylvania. SELECT (Scholarly Excellence. Leadership Experiences. Collaborative Training.) students will discover:
SELECT students will discover that the Lehigh Valley has a historic charm that meshes with trendy, invigorating, and limitless possibilities. Learn more at http://www.discoverlehighvalley.com
- Need to take a road trip? The Lehigh Valley is one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, two and a half hours to Baltimore, and three and a half hours to Washington D.C. Do you miss the Florida beaches already? Do not worry! The surf and sand is only two hours away to some of the northeast’s best beaches and shore towns.
- The thrills do not stop in Tampa. Dorney Park & Wild Water Kingdom is right in your back yard. Need more? The sweetest place on earth, Hersheypark, is a short distance away along with Six Flags Great Adventure where you can ride the World’s tallest and North America’s fastest roller coaster at 128 mph.
- Grab your gear and go ski, snowboard or tube at one of the ski resorts surrounding Lehigh Valley. The Poconos are a popular destination to carve up the mountain. If winter sports sound too chilling, enjoy the hiking rafting, golfing, and various other outdoor adventures during the fall and spring seasons.
- Experience some of the area’s rich sports culture; the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs baseball team, the Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies, is a great way to enjoy America’s favorite pastime. The most-played college football rivalry in the United States, Lehigh University vs Lafayette College, is a Lehigh Valley favorite, and do not forget about all the professional sports teams just a short interstate road trip away.
- Put your New Year’s resolution to the test. Taste, smell, and indulge in some of the best farmer’s markets, restaurants, Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, and fall festivals in the entire country. You, and your stomach, will not be disappointed.
- Enjoy Lehigh Valley’s art museums, galleries, music, entertainment, historical sites, parks, and much much more as you experience four distinct season changes of climate and weather.