Francisco Fernandez, MD
Chair, College Of Medicine Psychiatry And Behavioral Neurosciences
Professor and Chair, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
3515 East Fletcher Avenue
Tampa, FL 33613
Academic Email: email@example.com
Academic Phone: (813) 974-1437
View My C.V.
- MD, Medicine, Tufts University, 1979
"Working in partnership with our trainees to enhance their intellectual and creative as well as emotional capacities. It is my hope that our trainees will earn the knowledge and compassion to better care for patients and their families as people."
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Environmental & Global Health
- Women & Children's Health
- My research focus is in the neurobehavioral complications of mental illness. My work attempts to integrate the neuroscience and behavioral aspects relevant to mental disorders, psychiatric illness, and psychosomatic medicine. Understanding the basic underpinnings of brain-behavior relationships is essential to devising effective treatments and developing a clinical platform for therapeutic discovery as well as prevention.
- Florida Psychiatric Society (President, 2003 - Present)
- American College of Psychiatrists (First Vice-President, 1989 - Present)
- American Psychiatric Association (Distinguished Fellow, 1982 - Present)
- Giunta B, Hervey B, Klippel C, Obregon D, Robben D, Hartney K, Lubrano de Ciaccone B, Fernandez F Psychiatric Complications of HIV-1 Infection: Overview Pschiatric Annals. 43(5) : 199-203, 2013.
- Alba-Ferrara LM, Fernandez F, Salas R, de Erausquin GA Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) in Alcohol Dependence Treatment. Addictive Disorders & Their Treatment. , 2013.
- Qing Zhang S, Sawmiller D, Li S, Rezai-Zadeh K, Hou H, Zhou S, Shytle D, Giunta B, Fernandez F, Mori T, and Tan J Octyl Gallate Markedly Promotes Anti-Amyloidogenic Processing of APP through Estrogen Receptor-Mediated ADAM10 Activation PLoS One. 8(8) : 1-9, 2013.
- Professor and Chair (Department of Psychiatry, Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine 1996 - 2002)
- Associate Professor (Department of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine 1989 - 1996)
- Assistant Professor (Department of Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine 1986 - 1989)
- Assistant Professor (Medicine, MD Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute 1984 - 1986)
- First Vice-President (American College of Psychiatrists - 2013)
- President (Florida Psychiatric Society - 2012)
- Bowis Award (American College of Psychiatrists - 2010)
- Simon Bolivar Award (American Psychiatric Association - 2007)
- Spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Loyola University Health Systems - 1999)
- Papez Award (University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Psychiatry, Houston, Texas - 1985)