Research and Scholarly Activity
The Division of Allergy,Immunology and Rheumatology is actively engaged in basic and clinical research. The
Allergy/Immunology Laboratory in the
Children's Research Institute focuses on HIV, neonatal immunology, primary immunodeficiency diseases, inflammatory cytokines following exposure to marine toxins and studies of T cell responses to vaccines.
The Microbiome and Metatranscriptome in Chronic Rhinosinusitis and Humoral Immunodeficiency: This is an active investigator-initiated translational research project with a recruitment goal of 20 subjects. The specific aims of this project include characterizing the sinus microbiota with 16S rRNA next-generation sequencing, evaluating the metatranscriptome through RNA-Seq, and investigating mucosal immunity through immunoglobulin and cytokine ELISA assays in control subjects and subjects with chronic rhinosinusitis with and without antibody deficiency. The goal of this study is to understand the relationship among the microbiome, sinus epithelium, and adaptive immunity.
The Construction and Validation of a Disease-Specific Quality of Life Instrument for Patients with Primary Antibody Immunodeficiency Disorders: This is an active investigator-initiated, prospective, open label, multicenter study with a recruitment goal of 125 subjects with X-linked agammaglobulinemia and common variable immunodeficiency who are receiving immunoglobulin replacement therapy on a regular basis. The primary objective of this study is to develop a disease-specific quality of life instrument for primary immunodeficiency disease patients following the FDA guidelines for patient-reported outcomes.
- Investigation of Endothelial Dysfunction as Measured by Endothelial Adhesion Markers in Chronic Granulomatous Disease.
- Ballow M. “Historical perspectives in the diagnosis and treatment of primary immune deficiencies.” Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology 46(2):101-3, 2014.
- Kwan A, Abraham RS, Currier R, Brower A, Andruszewski K, Abbott JK, Baker M, Ballow M, et al. “Newborn screening for severe combined immunodeficiency in 11 screening programs in the United States.” JAMA 317(7):729-38, 2014.
- Shearer WT, Fleisher TA, Buckley RH, Ballas ZJ, Ballow M, Blaese RM et al. Recommendations for live viral and bacterial vaccines in immunodeficient patients and their close contacts. J Allergy Clin Immunol 133(4):961-6 2014.
- Ballow M. Mechanisms of immune regulation by IVIG. Current Opinion in Allergy & Clinical Immunology. 14(6):509-515, 2014.
- Trotter, J, Sriaroon P, Berman D, Petrovic A, Leiding JW. Sporothrix schenckii lymphadenitis in a boy with X-linked chronic granulomatous disease. J Clin Immunol. 2014 Jan;34(1):49-52.
- Sriaroon P, Ballow M. Biological modulators in eosinophilic diseases. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2014 Aug 17.
- Lehman H, Hernandez-Trujillo V, Ballow M. Diagnosing primary immunodeficiency: a practical approach for the non–immunologist. Current Medical Research and Opinion. 31(4):697-706, 2015.
- Braue J Murugesan V, Holland S, Patel N, Naik E, Leiding JW, Yacoub A, Prieto-Granada C, and Greene J. “NK-κB Essential Modulator Deficiency Leading to Disseminated Cutaneous Atypical Mycobacteria.” Mediterranean Journal of Hematology and Infectious Diseases. 2015. 7(1):1.
- Leiding JW, Sriaroon P, Ly JM, Petrovic A, Howard DL, Shamblott M, Huehn HS, Fleisher TA. Hypomorphic interleukin-7 receptor α-chain mutations and T-cell deficiency: a delay in diagnosis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015 Jul;115(1):1-3.
- Niebur HB, Tang N, Leiding, J. Intestinal Perforation and Non-Tuberculous Mycobacterial
Peritonitis in a Patient with Interleukin-1 Receptor Associated Kinanse 4 Deficiency. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) Annual Meeting San Diego, CA. Feb 28-Mar 04, 2014.
- Duff CM, Sher M, Leiding J. Effective Use of 20% Subcutaneous Immunoglobulin therapy in an Adult Male with Pre-existing Thrombi. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 2014 Annual Meeting San Diego, CA Date: Feb 28-Mar 04, 2014.
- Niebur HB, Petrovic A, Chamizo, W, Ochs HD, Leiding JW. “The Rebuck Skin Window: an Old Technique Applied to Post-Transplant Monitoring in Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency Type 1.” 2014. Primary Immune Deficiency Treatment Consortium (PIDTC). Seattle, WA. May 2014.
- Kubiak CD, Trotter JR, Potthast JK, Petrovic A, Leiding JW. “Tsukamurella species infection prompting diagnosis of chronic granulomatous disease in a 17 year old male.” American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI). Atlanta, GA. Nov. 2014.
- Yoon J, Bina S, Ballow M, Leiding JW. “B Cell Lymphopenia as a Complication of Remote Rituximab Use in a Patient with Common Variable Immunodeficiency.” American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) Annual Meeting, 2015. Houston, TX.
- Chang Y, Sriaroon P, Jervis G, Shi J, Sutcliffe M, Petrovic A, J. Leiding J. Novel IL7R mutation in a T-B+NK+ SCID infant. Poster Presentation. The Clinical Immunology Society (CIS) Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, April 2015.