Our Philosophy and Services
Developmental changes in physical and psychosocial issues during adolescence contribute to the unique health care needs of this age group. Since adolescent medicine is a broad-based and age-specific subspecialty, as opposed to a system-specific subspecialty, we often can be of help as a consultative service prior to a more specialized medical or surgical referral.
We provide primary medical care for adolescents ages 12 to 21 years, such as annual well visits and sports physicals. We also provide coordination of medical services for adolescents with multiple or complex medical issues, and we provide the following subspecialty services:
- Gynecology - Pubertal and menstrual developmental evaluation; menstrual disorders including primary and secondary amenorrhea, dysmenorrheal, abnormal uterine bleeding, and polycystic ovary syndrome and other hyperandrogen syndromes. Screening, diagnosis, management, and education of and about STD/STI's and HIV. Pregnancy issues, including testing, options, counseling, and prevention strategies, as well as comprehensive contraceptive care, including emergency contraception.
- Eating Disorders - Spectrum of eating disorders including anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa; diagnosis, management, and coordination of multidisciplinary care, including hospitalization/refeeding and outpatient nutritional assessment, psychiatric counseling and pharmacology, and ongoing medical care. Obesity, including nutritional management and screening for Type 2 diabetes.
- Psychosocial/Mental Health Issues - Substance abuse, depression, school difficulties, attention deficit disorders.
- Common Orthopedic Problems - Evaluation and management of scoliosis, chronic knee pain, chronic back pain, and common sports medicine problems. Other
- Common Medical Problems - Thyroid disorders, chronic abdominal pain, chronic fatigue, chronic headaches, growth and development issues.