Tampa General Hospital
This institution serves as the primary teaching hospital for the USF Morsani College of Medicine.
Approximately 1,200 community and university affiliated attending physicians and more than 270 resident physicians in the USF College of Medicine residency programs serve the community’s medical needs.
Tampa General Hospital (TGH) is the largest community hospital in west central Florida. TGH is a 1000-bed tertiary care medical center serving the Tampa Bay area and the surrounding counties.
Across the street from the main hospital is the USF Health building which is the site of several outpatient services.
The Tampa General Rehabilitation Center is a 59-bed facility located on the campus of Tampa General Hospital. It has earned accreditation (three-year) by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) in the following 12 areas:
- Adult Brain Injury Inpatient Rehabilitation Program
- Inpatient Brain Injury - Pediatric Specialty Program
- Adult Brain Injury Outpatient Rehabilitation Program
- Outpatient Brain Injury - Pediatric Specialty Program
- Adult Inpatient Rehabilitation Program
- Inpatient Rehabilitation - Pediatric Specialty Program
- Adult Interdisciplinary Pain Rehabilitation Program - Outpatient
- Adult Spinal Cord System of Care
- Spinal Cord System of Care - Pediatric Specialty Program
- Adult Inpatient Rehabilitation Program - Stroke Specialty Program
- Adult Outpatient Rehabilitation Program - Stroke Specialty Program
For more information, please visit the Tampa General website.
James A. Haley Veterans Affairs Hospital
Activated in 1972, the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level 1 Facility. It was the first VA hospital—and is one of 342 VA and private hospitals worldwide—to receive the prestigious designation as a Magnet Hospital, the national benchmark for excellence in Nursing Care. JAHVH is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and extended care.
The Tampa VA hospital is authorized for 415 beds and 118 Nursing Home Care Unit beds. It is also one of four Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center facilities in the country designed to provide intensive rehabilitative care to Veterans and Service members who experienced severe injuries (including brain injuries) to more than one organ system.
The Tampa VA hospital is affiliated with the University of South Florida (USF) College of Medicine (Health Sciences Center) in North Tampa, developing a unique and close professional relationship. The hospital is connected both physically and functionally to the university. Tampa provides training to 183 USF residents and fellows, offering residency training in all major medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties. The hospital is also a training site for medical, nursing (more than 400), and other health care professional students.
For more information, please visit the James A. Haley VA Hospital website or Tampa Polytrauma Rehabilitation Center website.
The Carol and Frank Morsani Center for Advanced Healthcare
The Carol and Frank Morsani Center for Advanced Healthcare is the first ambulatory health center in the country built from the ground up around quality, service and technology where the patient is the center of the health care system.
The Morsani Center is a $67 million six-story building with 194,400 square feet, located in the northwest quadrant of USF’s Tampa campus.
Specialties include Orthopedics and Sports Medicine; Physical Therapy, Ear, Nose and Throat, Breast Health, Women’s Health, Neurology, and Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery.
The Department of Family Medicine offers primary care for sports medicine including non-operative medical problems such as stress injuries and heat-related illness, exercise-induced asthma, fractures, immobilization, nutritional support and education to optimize athletic performance.
The Concussion Center at the Morsani Center is the first of its kind in the greater Tampa Bay area. In order to meet the needs of individuals with acute concussions or lingering post-concussive syndrome, we have established an integrated, multidisciplinary system of care that offers a variety of medical care for patients with concussions.
Tampa VA Research Center of Excellence
The theme of the Tampa VA Research Center of Excellence is maximizing rehabilitation outcomes. Research focuses on veterans with disabilities, service men and women who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and older adults.
- Advance the science of rehabilitation by combining traditional health services outcomes (e.g., patient safety, quality of life, access, healthcare utilization, and cost) with rehabilitation outcomes (e.g., function, activity, and community participation).
- Promote early detection and treatment of polytrauma including subtle, delayed-onset, and overlapping symptoms.
- Develop tools for screening, risk assessment, and outcome measurement in rehabilitation settings of care.
- Become a national resource to Veterans Health Administration (VHA), Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D), Rehabilitation Research and Development (RR&D) in the areas of Polytrauma rehabilitation, rehabilitation outcomes, and patient safety for veterans with disabilities.
- Train a new generation of investigators to address the conceptual, methodological, and analytical issues necessary to advance the science in rehabilitation outcomes.
The center is located in a new 30,000 sq ft building. In the past 10 years, we developed a comprehensive network of nine rehabilitation research labs including:
- Dynamic Human Motion Analysis Lab
- Engineering Research/Fabrication Lab
- Treadmill Lab (biomechanics of falls)
- Gait and Balance Lab I
- Gait and Balance Lab II
- Locomotor Training Lab
- Sharps Safety Research Lab
- Non-Invasive Skin Perfusion and Ischemia Detection Lab
- Advanced Prosthetics Lab