Sarah Yuan, MD, PhD
Endowed Chair, College Of Medicine Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
Professor & Chair, College Of Medicine Molecular Pharmacology & Physiology
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd
Tampa, FL 33612
Academic Email: email@example.com
Academic Phone: (813) 974-5104
View My C.V.
- PhD, Physiology, Second Military Medical University, 1988
- MD, Medicine, First Military Medicial University, 1983
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Cancer Biology
- Cardiovascular Sciences
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Metabolic Regulation and Disorders
- Pulmonary Physiology
- The goal of our research is to better understand the cellular and molecular regulation of cardiovascular function in health and disease. We investigate the signaling mechanisms of cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions in the microcirculation during inflammation, trauma, infection, sepsis, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and metastatic tumor development. A unique aspect of our studies is the emphasis on translating novel molecular mechanisms into systemic pathophysiology via integrative analyses of human, animal, and cell models of diseases. Techniques utilized in these studies include intravital microscopy, 3D fluorescence imaging, fluorescence resonance energy transfer, electric cell-substrate impedance sensor, cell isometric tension, and state-of-the-art molecular approaches including gene knockout and mutation. Our research has been continuously supported by the National Institutes of Health.
- Beard SR, Haines RJ, Wu KY, Reynolds JJ, Davis SM, Elliott JE, Cha B, Wu MH, and Yuan SY. MLCK is required for β-catenin/FoxO1-dependent downregulation of claudin-5 in interleukin-1β-mediated brain endothelial cell barrier dysfunction. J Cell Sci. , 2014.
- Sun C, Rigor RR, Day ML, Wu HM, and Yuan SY ADAM15 cytoplasmic domain-mediated Src signaling in lung endothelial barrier dysfunction during septic injury Am J Physiol. 304: L135-42, 2013.
- Rigor RR, Shen Q, Pivetti CD, Wu MH, and Yuan SY Myosin light chain kinase signaling in endothelial barrier dysfunction. Med Res Rev. 33: 911, 2013.
- Sun C, Beard RS Jr, McLean DL, Rigor RR, Konia T, Wu MH, Yuan SY ADAM15 deficiency attenuates pulmonary hyperpermeability and acute lung injury in lipopolysaccharide-treated mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol. 304: L135, 2013.
- Guo M, Yuan SY, Sun C, Frederich BJ, Shen Q, McLean DL, and Wu, MH. Role of non-muscle myosin light chain kinase in neutrophil-mediated intestinal barrier dysfunction during thermal injury. Shock. 38: 436, 2012.
- Lee ES, Van Spyk EN, Chun KC, Pitts RL, Wu MH, and Yuan SY Monocytic adhesion molecule expression and monocyte-endothelial cell dysfunction are increased in patients with peripheral vascular disease versus patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Surg Res. 177: 378, 2012.
- Sun C, Wu HM, Lee ES, and Yuan SY A disintegrin and metalloproteinase 15 contributes to atherosclerosis by mediating endothelial barrier dysfunction via Src family kinase activity ATVB. 32: 2444, 2012.