Michael Cheung, BS, MS
Graduate Research Assistant, College Of Medicine Molecular Medicine
Graduate Research Assistant, Molecular Medicine dept., Morsani College of Medicine, The University of South Florida
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd
Shyam Mohapatra Lab
Tampa, FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone: (813) 974-8574
- MS, Medical Science, The University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, 2012
- MS, Biology, The University of Akron, 2009
- BS, Biology, The University of Akron, 2006
""Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."
- William Butler Yeats"
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- My research interests focus on mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), also known as multipotent stromal cells, and their role in modulating immune responses. In particular, our work has revealed that respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) may infect MSCs and increase the expression of immune regulatory factors including IFN-beta and indoleamine-2,3-dioxygenase (IDO), which down-regulate T cell proliferation and may be responsible for the lack of development of protective immunity to the virus despite recurrent infections. The use of the IDO-specific inhibitor 1-methyltryptophan on infected MSCs successfully reversed this effect. Future directions may include the use of an IDO inhibitor as a way to increase the immune response to the virus and lead to better outcomes in patients.
- The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) (Predoctoral Fellow, 2012 - Present)
- Jaya Mallela, Sowndharya Ravi, Frantz Jean Louis, Bianca Mulaney, Michael Cheung, Ujjwala Sree Garapati, Vignesh Chinnasamy, Chunyan Wang, Srinivas Nagaraj, Shyam S Mohapatra, Subhra Mohapatra NPRA Signaling Regulates Stem Cell Recruitment and Angiogenesis: A Model to Study Linkage Between Inflammation and Tumorigenesis Stem Cells. , 2013.
- Michael B Cheung Immune System Modulation in Victims of Intimate Partner Violence Thesis, The University of Akron. , 2009.
- Teaching Assistant (Biology dept., College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Akron 2006 - 2009)