Laura Hamel, MS
Graduate Research Assistant, College Of Medicine Molecular Medicine
Research Assistant, Molecular Medicine, University of South Florida
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33612
Academic Email: email@example.com
Academic Phone: (813) 974-5747
View My C.V.
- MS, Molecular Medicine, University of South Florida, 2012
- MS, Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Rhode Island, 2009
- BS, Biochemistry, University of New Hampshire, 2006
- Our lab is focused on understanding palmitoylation, a post-translational modification of Ras (an oncogene implicated in ~30% of all cancers, and up to 90% in specific cancer types) involved in its localization to the plasma membrane where Ras elicits a majority of its activity.
- My project focuses on understanding the regulation of Ras palmitoylation in three ways. Initially, I used a candidate based approach to screen for the enzyme responsible for Ras depalmitoylation. More recently, I have been screening mutants of the enzyme that palmitoylated Ras to see the effect of the mutations on activity, and finally, I will perform high-throughput inhibitor screens in an attempt to identify inhibitors of palmitoylation.
- AMSGS (President, 2013 - Present)
- AMSGS (Vice President, 2012 - 2013)
- AMSGS (Secretary, 2011 - 2012)
- AMSGS (Member, 2010 - 2011)
- Laura D. Hamel, Robert J. Deschenes, David A. MitchellCorresponding author contact information A fluorescence-based assay to monitor autopalmitoylation of zDHHC proteins applicable to high-throughput screening Analytical Biochemistry. , 2014.
- Mitchell DA, Hamel LD, Reddy KD, Farh L, Rettew LM, Sanchez PR, Deschenes RJ Mutations in the X-Linked Intellectual Disability Gene, zDHHC9, Alter Autopalmitoylation Activity by Distinct Mechanisms. J Biol Chem. , 2014.
- Anna Lüning, Julia Schur, Laura Hamel, Ingo Ott, Axel Klein Strong Cytotoxicity of Organometallic Platinum Complexes with Alkynyl Ligands Organometallics. 13(32) : 3662–3672, 2013.
- Mitchell DA, Hamel LD, Ishizuka K, Mitchell G, Schaefer LM, Deschenes RJ. The Erf4 subunit of the yeast Ras palmitoyl acyltransferase is required for stability of the Acyl-Erf2 intermediate and palmitoyl transfer to a Ras2 substrate J Biol Chem. 287(41) : 34337-48, 2012.
- Linnea Anderson, Ann Dring, Laura Hamel, Matthew Stoner Modulation of constitutive androstane receptor (CAR) and pregnane X receptor (PXR) by 6-arylpyrrolo[2,1-d][1,5]benzothiazepine derivatives, ligands of peripheral benzodiazepine receptor (PBR) Toxicology Letters. 202(2) : 148-54, 2011.
- Axel Klein, Anna Lüning, Ingo Ott, Laura Hamel, Michael Neugebauer, Katharina Butsch, Verena Lingen, Frank Heinrich, Said Elmas Organometallic palladium and platinum complexes with strongly donating alkyl co-ligands - Synthesis, structures, chemical and cytotoxic properties J. Organomet. Chem. 695(15-16) : 1898-1905, 2010.
- Research Fellow (Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Technische Universität Braunschweig 2009 - 2010)
- Research Assistant (Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Rhode Island 2006 - 2009)
- Travel Award (FASEB - 2011)
- International Research Fellow (Technische Universität Braunschweig - 2009)