Niketa Patel, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, College Of Medicine Molecular Medicine
College Of Medicine Molecular Medicine
Research Biologist, Research Service, JAH Veterans Hospital
Associate Professor, Molecular Medicine, USF
JAH VA, Res Ser VAR 151
13000 Bruce B Downs
Academic Email: email@example.com
Academic Phone: (813) 972-2000
View My C.V.
- PHD, Molecular Biology, University Of South Florida, 1998
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Obesity continues to escalate as a significant public health problem and as the leading preventable cause of death. Genetic, environmental, behavioral, and socioeconomic factors cause excess weight gain and obesity. Increased proliferation and differentiation of pre-adipocytes to mature adipocytes (adipogenesis) within the fat tissues are central to obesity. Apoptosis, or programmed cell death, is an integral part of the cell cycle. Research from our laboratory involves elucidation of the biochemical and molecular mechanisms in the study of adipogenesis. Protein kinase C (PKC)d, a member of the novel PKC (nPKC) subfamily, plays an important role in the regulation of cell apoptosis. The focus of this laboratory is to decipher the molecular mechanisms regulating alternative expression of PKC´ isoforms. Our laboratory has recently identified a new human PKCdelta isoform generated by alternative splicing. Alternative splicing is now acknowledged as being pivotal in generating the protein diversity required to fine tune the cellular functions. Regulation of alternative splicing involves interplay of the cis-elements with the trans-acting factors such as SR proteins and hnRNPs. This is currently being investigated using molecular biology techniques and cloning of minigenes to facilitate the identification of the splicing components in this system.
- 3. Carter, G., Patel, R., Apostolatos, A., Murr, M., Cooper, D.R. and Patel, N.A. PKCδ splice variants modulate senescence via hTERT in adipose-derived stem cells Stem Cell Investigation. 3(1) , 2014.
- 4. Tajiri, N., Acosta, S.A., Shahaduzzaman, M., Ishikawa, H, Shinozuka, K.., Pabon, M., Hernandez-Ontiveros, D, Kim, D.W., Metcalf, C., Staples, M., D Intravenous transplants of human adipose-derived stem cell protect the brain from TBI-induced neurodegeneration and motor and cognitive impairments: Cell graft bio-distribution and soluble factors in young and aged rats Journal of Neuroscience. 1(341) : 313-326, 2014.
- 5. Watson JE, Patel, N.A., Carter, G., Moor, A., Patel, R., Ghansah, T., Mathur, A., Murr, M., Bickford, P., Gould, L., Cooper, D.R. Comparison of markers and functional attributes of human adipose derived stem cells and dedifferentiated adipocyte cells from subcutaneous fat of an obese diabetic donor Advances in Wound Care. 3(3) : 219-228, 2014.
- 2. Cooper, D.R. Carter, G., Li, P., Patel, R., Watson, J. and Patel, N.A Long non-coding RNA NEAT1 sequesters SRp40 to temporally regulate PPARγ splicing during adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 cells Genes. , 2014.
- 1. Patel, R., Carter, G., Cooper, D.R. Apostolatos, H., and Patel, N.A Transformer 2 beta homolog (Drosophila) (TRA2B) regulates Protein Kinase C deltaI (PKCδI) splice variant expression during 3T3L1 pre-adipocyte cell cycle Jour Biol Chem. : doi:10.1074/jbc.M114.592337, 2014.
- 7. Patel RS, Apostolatos A, Carter G, Ajmo JM, Gali M, Cooper DR, You,M., Bisht, K. and Patel, N. A. Protein kinase C delta splice variants modulate apoptosis pathway in 3T3L1 cells during adipogenesis: Identification of PKCdeltaII inhibitor. Jour Biol Chem. 37(288) : 26834-46, 2013.
- 8. Carter, G., Apostolatos, A., Patel, R., Mathur, A., Cooper, D.R., Murr, M., Patel, N.A. Dysregulated alternative splicing pattern of PKCδ during differentiation of human preadipocytes represents distinct differences between lean and obese adipocytes. ISRN Obesity. : 161345, 2013.
- 9. Li, P., Carter, G., Romero, J., Gower, K. M., Watson, J., Patel, N. A., and Cooper, D. R. Clk/STY (cdc2-Like kinase 1) and Akt regulate alternative splicing and adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 pre-adipocytes PLOS One. : e53268, 2013.
- 6. Pennington-Rowe, A., Sava, V., Song, S., Patel, N.A. and Sanchez-Ramos, J. Direct Actions of Granulocyte-Colony Stimulating Factor on Human Neuronal and Monocytic Cell Lines J of Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinsonism. 121(3) , 2013.
- Apostolatos, A., Song, S., Acosta, S., Peart, M., Watson, J. E., Bickford, P., Cooper, D. R., and Patel, N. A Insulin promotes neuronal survival via the alternatively spliced protein kinase CdeltaII isoform J Biol Chem. (287) : 9299-9310, 2012.
- Apostolatos, H.Apostolatos, A.Vickers, T.Watson, JE.Song, S.Vale, F.Cooper, DR.Sanchez-Ramos, J.Patel, NA. Vitamin A metabolite, all-trans-retinoic acid, mediates alternative splicing of protein kinase C deltaVIII (PKCdeltaVIII) isoform via splicing factor SC35. The Journal of biological chemistry. 285(34) : 25987-95, 2010. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20547768
- Chappell, DS.Patel, NA.Jiang, K.Li, P.Watson, JE.Byers, DM.Cooper, DR. Functional involvement of protein kinase C-betaII and its substrate, myristoylated alanine-rich C-kinase substrate (MARCKS), in insulin-stimulated glucose transport in L6 rat skeletal muscle cells. Diabetologia. 52(5) : 901-11, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19252893
- Jiang, K.Patel, NA.Watson, JE.Apostolatos, H.Kleiman, E.Hanson, O.Hagiwara, M.Cooper, DR. Akt2 regulation of Cdc2-like kinases (Clk/Sty), serine/arginine-rich (SR) protein phosphorylation, and insulin-induced alternative splicing of PKCbetaII messenger ribonucleic acid. Endocrinology. 150(5) : 2087-97, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19116344
- Kleiman, E.Carter, G.Ghansah, T.Patel, NA.Cooper, DR. Developmentally spliced PKCbetaII provides a possible link between mTORC2 and Akt kinase to regulate 3T3-L1 adipocyte insulin-stimulated glucose transport. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 388(3) : 554-9, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19686698
- Jiang, K.Apostolatos, AH.Ghansah, T.Watson, JE.Vickers, T.Cooper, DR.Epling-Burnette, PK.Patel, NA. Identification of a novel antiapoptotic human protein kinase C delta isoform, PKCdeltaVIII in NT2 cells. Biochemistry. 47(2) : 787-97, 2008. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18092819
- Ghosh, N.Patel, N.Jiang, K.Watson, JE.Cheng, J.Chalfant, CE.Cooper, DR. Ceramide-activated protein phosphatase involvement in insulin resistance via Akt, serine/arginine-rich protein 40, and ribonucleic acid splicing in L6 skeletal muscle cells. Endocrinology. 148(3) : 1359-66, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17158207
- Patel, NA.Song, SS.Cooper, DR. PKCdelta alternatively spliced isoforms modulate cellular apoptosis in retinoic acid-induced differentiation of human NT2 cells and mouse embryonic stem cells. Gene expression. 13(2) : 73-84, 2006. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17017122
- Patel, NA.Kaneko, S.Apostolatos, HS.Bae, SS.Watson, JE.Davidowitz, K.Chappell, DS.Birnbaum, MJ.Cheng, JQ.Cooper, DR. Molecular and genetic studies imply Akt-mediated signaling promotes protein kinase CbetaII alternative splicing via phosphorylation of serine/arginine-rich splicing factor SRp40. The Journal of biological chemistry. 280(14) : 14302-9, 2005. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15684423
- Patel, NA.Apostolatos, HS.Mebert, K.Chalfant, CE.Watson, JE.Pillay, TS.Sparks, J.Cooper, DR. Insulin regulates protein kinase CbetaII alternative splicing in multiple target tissues: development of a hormonally responsive heterologous minigene. Molecular endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.). 18(4) : 899-911, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14752056
- Patel, NA.Eichler, DC.Chappell, DS.Illingworth, PA.Chalfant, CE.Yamamoto, M.Dean, NM.Wyatt, JR.Mebert, K.Watson, JE.Cooper, DR. The protein kinase C beta II exon confers mRNA instability in the presence of high glucose concentrations. The Journal of biological chemistry. 278(2) : 1149-57, 2003. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12407109
- Patel, NA.Yamamoto, M.Illingworth, P.Mancu, D.Mebert, K.Chappell, DS.Watson, JE.Cooper, DR. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase mediates protein kinase C beta II mRNA destabilization in rat A10 smooth muscle cell cultures exposed to high glucose. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics. 403(1) : 111-20, 2002. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12061808
- Patel, NA.Chalfant, CE.Watson, JE.Wyatt, JR.Dean, NM.Eichler, DC.Cooper, DR. Insulin regulates alternative splicing of protein kinase C beta II through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent pathway involving the nuclear serine/arginine-rich splicing factor, SRp40, in skeletal muscle cells. The Journal of biological chemistry. 276(25) : 22648-54, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11283022
- Yamamoto, M.Acevedo-Duncan, M.Chalfant, CE.Patel, NA.Watson, JE.Cooper, DR. Acute glucose-induced downregulation of PKC-betaII accelerates cultured VSMC proliferation. American journal of physiology. Cell physiology. 279(3) : C587-95, 2000. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10942708
- Sanchez-Ramos, J.Song, S.Cardozo-Pelaez, F.Hazzi, C.Stedeford, T.Willing, A.Freeman, TB.Saporta, S.Janssen, W.Patel, N.Cooper, DR.Sanberg, PR. Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitro. Experimental neurology. 164(2) : 247-56, 2000. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10915564
- Patel, NA.Chalfant, CE.Yamamoto, M.Watson, JE.Eichler, DC.Cooper, DR. Acute hyperglycemia regulates transcription and posttranscriptional stability of PKCbetaII mRNA in vascular smooth muscle cells. The FASEB journal : official publication of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. 13(1) : 103-13, 1999. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9872935
- Yamamoto, M.Patel, NA.Taggart, J.Sridhar, R.Cooper, DR. A shift from normal to high glucose levels stimulates cell proliferation in drug sensitive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells but not in multidrug resistant MCF-7/ADR cells which overproduce PKC-betaII. International journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer. 83(1) : 98-106, 1999. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10449615
- Cooper, DR.Watson, JE.Patel, N.Illingworth, P.Acevedo-Duncan, M.Goodnight, J.Chalfant, CE.Mischak, H. Ectopic expression of protein kinase CbetaII, -delta, and -epsilon, but not -betaI or -zeta, provide for insulin stimulation of glucose uptake in NIH-3T3 cells. Archives of biochemistry and biophysics. 372(1) : 69-79, 1999. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10562418
- Chalfant, CE.Watson, JE.Bisnauth, LD.Kang, JB.Patel, N.Obeid, LM.Eichler, DC.Cooper, DR. Insulin regulates protein kinase CbetaII expression through enhanced exon inclusion in L6 skeletal muscle cells. A novel mechanism of insulin- and insulin-like growth factor-i-induced 5' splice site selection. The Journal of biological chemistry. 273(2) : 910-6, 1998. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9422749
- Yamamoto, M.Acevedo-Duncan, M.Chalfant, CE.Patel, NA.Watson, JE.Cooper, DR. The roles of protein kinase C beta I and beta II in vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation. Experimental cell research. 240(2) : 349-58, 1998. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9597008
- Assistant Professor (Dept. of Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, USF 2004 - 2012)
- Chair, RNA and Disease (Endocrine Society - 2007)