Policy & Procedure for Visiting Medical Students
Visiting student applications for 2014-2015 will be accepted beginning on May 1, 2014.
USF uses VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting on May 1st. To apply to our school, please complete and send us a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. For more information on VSAS, please visit the VSAS webpage or contact VSAS via email or telephone at (202) 478-9878.
We now have the availability to accept applications from osteopathic students via VSAS.
In order to complete a fourth year medical student rotation at the University of South Florida, students must attend an LCME or COCA accredited school.
Visiting Student Communicable Disease and Blood-borne Pathogen Exposure Protocol
Is my school accredited by the LCME or COCA?
To find out if your school is accredited by the LCME or COCA visit their websites and browse by state or province.
Applications will not be processed until all required information has been received by the USF Morsani College of Medicine Registrar's Office. Completed applications must be submitted at least 30 days before the desired elective period begins.
- Students must be in their 4th year, in good academic standing, and have completed all required basic clinical clerkships before enrolling. Visiting students may only apply for elective courses.
- Visiting students may receive academic credit from their own medical schools for elective course work completed at the USF Morsani College of Medicine. Transcripts of elective coursework will not be issued. The USF Morsani College of Medicine does not assess tuition or fees for visiting students.
- Evaluations of performance will be sent on request to the visiting student's home school. If required, the form should be uploaded to VSAS or provided by the student.
- In order to take elective courses at the USF Morsani College of Medicine, the student must submit a completed USF Visiting Student Application as noted on VSAS at least 1 month prior to the start of the elective.
- The USF Morsani College of Medicine does not provide student health, liability, or malpractice insurance for visiting students. Visiting students must provide their own health insurance and be responsible for their health care. Malpractice insurance is required and it is the responsibility of the visiting student to obtain a policy if not covered by the home school.
- Visiting medical students are required to obtain a USF student ID at the cost of ten dollars for the duration of their elective rotation(s). The requirement may vary by department; therefore, students are encouraged to contact the department for further information.
- The USF Morsani College of Medicine does not accept students for a year's clinical clerkship training that is required by their home school. Neither do we offer a year's supervised training in clinical clerkships similar to a Fifth Pathway Program. ONLY USF Morsani College of Medicine approved students will be allowed "hands-on" patient interaction. AT NO TIME will a student visiting in an "observer" status be allowed to participate in "hands-on" medical procedures with patients.
- Available elective positions are assigned on a first come first-served basis. Applications will not be acted upon until all required information has been received.
- Once the application is deemed complete by the Registrar's Office, the application form will be made available to the appropriate USF Morsani College of Medicine Departmental Chair/Elective Coordinator to determine course availability. The department coordinator will then inform the student of approval/denial via VSAS, and, if approved, will become the primary contact/sponsor for the student for the remainder of their experience at USF to include issuance of grade/evaluation.
- Upon arrival at USF visiting students must present a government issued photo ID to the electives coordinator.
- Exceptions to these procedures must be submitted to the Executive Council for action.