MD Admissions FAQ
For your convenience, the Office of MD Admissions has compiled a list of frequently asked questions regarding our M.D. Program admissions process. Answers to these and many additional questions can be found throughout the MD Admissions website.
- When is the deadline for applying through AMCAS to USF Morsani College of Medicine?
The deadline for submitting the AMCAS application to AMCAS in Washington, DC is November 15.
- How do I send updated information regarding my address and phone number after I submitted my AMCAS application?
Applicants must make all changes in contact information through AMCAS – not USF Morsani College of Medicine MD Admissions Office. AMCAS will then relay your changes to all the schools to which you have applied. You also should inform AMCAS when you change email accounts.
- Can I take all of my premed courses at a junior college?
In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should take your pre-requisite courses from your degree granting institution. However, if you started your academic career at a junior college those courses are acceptable for completion of the pre-requisites. In this case you are encouraged to take additional science courses at a bachelor degree granting institution.
- What are the minimum requirements to apply to the USF MD Programs?
USF Morsani College of Medicine does not have a minimum GPA or MCAT requirement. USF utilizes a thorough holistic review of all applications. Any student who chooses to apply to USF through AMCAS will receive our secondary application.
- What type of degree is required to enter the USF MD Program?
USF Morsani College of Medicine requires students to complete all prerequisite work and bachelor degree coursework prior to matriculation from a regionally accredited institution. Students can major in any academic discipline.
- Can I take the prerequisite courses through distance learning or through the internet?
No. Online coursework is not acceptable as fulfilling the prerequisite coursework requirements.
- Will online degrees be considered in the application process for the USF MD Programs?
USF will not recognized online degree programs for admission.
- Will USF accept the September MCAT?
- What if I am taking the MCAT in January?
January MCAT test scores will not be considered for the same application cycle year.
- I have taken the MCAT three times. Do you see all of my scores?
Yes. The AMCAS application will show your testing history and include the date of every MCAT you have taken since 1991.
- I took the MCAT several times. Does USF MCOM combine scores of the sections to make the end score higher?
- Does the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine accept international students?
No. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents of the US with an alien registration receipt (green) card in their possession when they complete the AMCAS application.
- Where can I find more information on Florida residency?
- What types of documents are necessary to support my claim to Florida residency?
Acceptable forms of documentation include: At the time of application, we collect your driver's license, vehicle registration and voter registration card.to claim residency. If further proof is needed, you will be asked to provide additional information.Please view the procedures for Residency Classification.
- I have a medical degree from a country outside of the United States; can I enter your medical school?
You will have to follow our regular admissions process: We require that you have citizenship or permanent resident status, either a Bachelor's degree from a United States accredited institution or an international degree that has been found equivalent to one, completed all prerequisite courses from a United States regionally accredited institution and an AMCAS application. You will not receive advanced standing based on coursework completed at your previous medical school.Please visit the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates and Students website for assistance on continuing/completing your education in the U.S.Please see USF MCOM's required prerequisite courses.
- How will I receive notification of my application status with USF MCOM?
All correspondence regarding application status is sent via e-mail using the email address you provided on your AMCAS application.
- Where can I find more information on the USF Morsani College of Medicine's Early Decision program?
- Does USF Morsani College of Medicine accept transfer students?
We only consider transfer students who are between the second and third year, who have passed STEP 1 of the USMLE examination, and who are transferring from an LCME- accredited school and are U.S. citizens or hold a Permanent Resident (Green Card) immigration status. For candidates who meet these criteria, the next step is one of space availability in our MD programs. It is typically not until early Spring of each year that we are in a position to evaluate such availability.
- Does USF MCOM accept a foreign degree, or credit, for undergraduate work in a foreign country?
Unfortunately, no. This also applies to coursework completed in Canada.
- How do inquire about an additional question not listed on the website?