- Duty hours : limited to 80 hours per week averaged over a 4 week period
- Fellows have no in-house call
- Fellows are guaranteed one day in seven free from all educational and clinical responsibilities, averaged over a 4 week period inclusive of call.
- Fellows do not have in house call and have adequate time for rest and personal activities.
- Daily work hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
- At home call
- At home call does not preclude rest and reasonable personal time for each fellow
- Fellows cover their own patient calls, and consults for the hospital that they are covering during the weekdays.
- Fellows cover the Rheumatology service calls and consults for the weekends that they are on call ( as of 2007-2008 academic year, 1 in 3 weekends)
- When fellows are called into the hospital from home, the hours the fellows spend in house are counted toward the 80 hour limit.
- Fellows Service responsibilities are limited to patients for whom the teaching service has diagnostic and therapeutic responsibility
- All fellows must document their duty hours on line every 2 weeks with the Graduate Medical Education Office. Failure to do so, may result in withholding salary.
- Any violation of Resident duty hours is reported immediately to the program director, and appropriate action taken.
- All postgraduate courses of the Department of Internal Medicine are open to trainees without fee.
- All Residents may attend one approved professional meeting per year at their own expense with a maximum excused absence of a total of five calendar days. Such leave should be scheduled during consultation services or after adequate ward coverage has been arranged. Vacation leave forms must be completed when requesting meeting leave time.
- Funding limitations do not allow for paid attendance at meetings for any members of the Housestaff other than the Advanced Subspecialty Residents at the Program Director's discretion.
- All requests must be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to the meeting. The meeting to be attended must be approved by the Chairman's office prior to attendance. Course sign-in slips or course credit forms must be submitted after attendance.
- Excused leave time will be given for State Board or National Board examinations and is not included in the time allowed for vacation or for professional meetings.