Beata Casanas, DO FACP
Assoc Professor, College of Medicine Internal Medicine
Director, Infectious Disease Fellowship Program, Division of Infectious Disease and International Medicine
Medical Director, Tuberculosis Clinic, Hillsborough County
Erin K. Flatley Sepsis Professor, Division of Infectious Disease
Faculty Member, Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship, Morsani College of Medicine
1 Tampa General Circle
Tampa FL 33606
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone:(813) 844-4187
- DO, Osteopathic Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, 1999
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- Dr. Casanas' research interests encompass the development of cutting edge HIV pharmaceuticals, the epidemiology and treatment of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, and the unique therapeutic challenge of TB-HIV co-infection.
- Hillsborough County Medical Association (Member, 2007 - Present)
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease (Diplomate, 2005 - Present)
- Infectious Disease Society of America (Member, 2004 - Present)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Diplomate, 2003 - Present)
- National Board of Medical Examiners (Diplomate, 2000 - Present)
- American College of Physicians (Fellow, 2000 - Present)
- American Osteopathic Association (Member, 1995 - Present)
- Udoka O Addisu A Casanas B Anderson B. Bartonella Species, an Emerging Cause of Blood-Culture-Negative Endocarditis Clinical Microbiology. 3(30) : 709-746, 2017.
- Okaro U, Addisu A, Casanas B, Anderson B. Bartonella Species, an Emerging Cause of Blood-Culture-Negative Endocarditis. Clinical microbiology reviews. 30(3) : 709-746, 2017. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28490579
- Gompf SG Casanas BC Carrington M Cunha BA. Herpangina eMedicine from WebMD. , 2016.
- Casanas BC McGrory K. Zika Could Spread to Tampa Bay, Other Florida Cities Tampa Bay Times. , 2016.
- Casanas BC Greene L. Worried About Zika? Take Steps to Prevent Mosquito Bites Tampa General Hospital New Center. , 2016.
- Casanas B. Zika Virus Can be Controlled The Tampa Tribune. , 2016.
- Casanas BC Alrabaa S. Bedaquiline (Sirturo) Approved as Part of Combination Therapy to Treat Multi-Drug Resistant Pulmonary Tuberculosis (TB) in Adults HIV Care Link, A Newsletter for HIV/AIDS Primary Care Providers, Florida / Caribbean AIDS Education and Training Center.. : www.aidsetc.org, 2014.
- Parekh A, Damisse P, Kenny P, Casanas BC, Greene JN. Rapidly Growing Mycobacterium Infections and their Prevalence in Distinct Malignancies Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 22(6) : 335-338, 2014.
- Mehanni, Stephen MD; Joseph, Krista MD; Casanas, Beata DO; Greene, John MD. Mycobacterium Abscessus Granulomatous Cystitis in a Patient With Superficial Bladder Cancer Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice:. 22(2) : 116-117, 2014.
- Gompf SG, Casanas BC, Carrington M, Cunha B. Herpangina eMedicine - Electronic Journal. , 2014.
- Ramaro S, Greene JN, Casanas BC, Carrington ML. Cutaneous manifestations of tuberculosis Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 20(6) : 376–383, 2012.
- Casanas BC,Kass J, Pathak A, Tucci VT, Payor A, Vincent Al, Greene JN, Sandin RL. Nongastrointestinal aeromonas hydrophila infections in patients with cancer Infec Dis Clin Pract. 4(20) : 268-271, 2012.
- Manry M, Cox J, Casanas BC, Quilitz RE, Greene JN. Rituximab-Associated Occurrence of Disseminated Miliary Tuberculosis Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 1(20) : 82-84, 2012.
- Casanas BC, Oxner A, Lakshmi S, Georgiev H, D'Souza K, Mundra L, Sistrunk R, Pytlarz J, wooley J, Sinnott JT. A University-corporate partnership to enhance vaccination rates among the elderly: an example of a corporate public health care delivery Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses. 1(5) : 159-161, 2011.
- Gompf SG, Casanas BC, Carrington M, Cunha BA. Herpangina Emedicine from WebMD. (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/218502-overview) , 2010.
- Velez M, Casanas BC, Greene JN. Pasteurella multocida Infections in Cancer Patients Asian Biomedicine. 3(4) : 449-455, 2010.
- Casanas B, Oxner A, Lakshmi S, Georgiev H, D'Souza K, Mundra L, Sistrunk R, Pytlarz J, Wooley J, Sinnott JT. A University-corporate Partnership to Enhance Vaccination Rates among the Elderly: An Example of a Corporate Public Health Care Delivery Options for the Control of Influenza VII. (Hong Kong, China - presented) , 2010.
- Bhardwaj B, Naik E, Casanas BC, Breglia M, Lauzardo M. Tuberculosis Screening and Treatment of Latent Tuberculosis Infection among International College Students Florida Public Health Review. 7: 26-31, 2010.
- Naik E, Casanas B, Pazare A, Wabale G, Sinnott J, Salihu H. Cost of treatment: The single biggest obstacle to HIV/AIDS treatment adherence in lower-middle class patients in Mumbai, India. Indian journal of sexually transmitted diseases. 30(1) : 23-7, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21938110
- Ghiya R, Naik E, Casanas B, Izurieta R, Marfatia Y. Clinico-epidemiological profile of HIV/TB coinfected patients in Vadodara, Gujarat. Indian journal of sexually transmitted diseases. 30(1) : 10-5, 2009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21938107
- Casanas BC, Pothiawala S, Sinnott JT. An Elderly Man with NOMA Orofacial Gangrene Infectious Disease in Clinical Practice. 17: 208-209, 2009.
- Datta I, Casanas BC, Vincent AL, Greene JN. The Red Face: Erysipelas versus Parvovirus B19, SLE and Rosacea Asian Biomedicine. 6(3) : 681-688, 2009.
- Casanas BC, Maldonado A, Diaz J, Logan J. Mycobacterium leprosum Infections in Medicine. 25: 526-527, 2008.
- Casanas BC. Tuberculosis - Are You at Risk? ABC News Online. (http://abcnews.go.com/health/germs/story?id=3079114&page=1) , 2007.
- Casanas BC. Tuberculosis - What You Need to Know ABC News online. (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/story?id=3226324&page=1) , 2007.
- Gompf SC, Herman BC, Tash K, Sinnott JT. A Dim View: Corneal Ulcer after Remote Refractive Surgery Infections in Medicine. 22: 621, 2005.
- Gompf SG, Herman BC. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Corneal Ulcer Clinical Microbiology Newsletter. 15: 64-65, 2005.
- Montero JA, Bartels LJ, Herman BC, Sinnott JT. Tuberculous otitis Infections in Medicine. 19: 72, 2002.
- Herman BC. Mycobacterium paratuberculosis: A Role in Crohn's Disease The Indian Practitioner. 54: 3, 2001.
- Faculty (Florida/Caribbean AETC, Florida/Caribbean AIDS Education and Training Center 2005 - 2015)
- Annual Fellows Award for Best Fellowship Director (USF Division of Infectious Disease Fellows - 2017)
- Exemplary Fellowship Program Director Performance Award (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education - 2017)
- Fellow (Infectious Disease Society of America - 2016)
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Scholar (AAMC - 2015)
- Top Doctors List (Tampa Bay Metro Magazine - 2014)
- Best Doctors in America (Best Doctors in America - 2013)
- Best Doctors in America (Best Doctors in America - 2012)
- Best Doctors in America (Best Doctors in America - 2011)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (Barness/Behnke Chapter - 2010)
- Fellow (American College of Physicians - 2009)
- Outstanding Contribution to the Miami-Dade Health Department Tuberculosis Program (Miami-Dade Health Department - 2009)
- Best Doctors in America (Best Doctors of America - 2009)
- Co-Valedictorian (13th Class of the Public Health Leadership Institute of Florida - 2008)
- Silver Performance Award For Outstanding Contributions 2006/2007 (University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Tampa - 2007)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Gamma Chapter (University of South Florida, Tampa - 2002)
- Golden Key National Honor Society (University of South Florida, Tampa - 1990)