Jia-Wang Wang, PHD
Assistant Professor, College Of Medicine Internal Medicine
Assistant Professor, College Of Medicine Pediatrics
College Of Medicine Internal Medicine
Assistant Professor, Division of Allergy and Immunology, Internal Medicine, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida
12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd
Tampa, FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone: (813) 974-7521
View My C.V.
- Post doc, Immunology, University of Pennsylvania, 2000
- Post doc, Molecular Oncology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, 1996
- PHD, Virology & Molecular Biology, Wuhan University, 1994
- MSc, Genetics, Sichuan University, 1989
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- Allergy, Immunology & Infectious Disease
- MicroRNAs (miRs) are ~22 nucleotides long non-coding RNAs that inhibit mRNA translation by the base pairing rule at the accuracy of one base. So far 2154 human mature miRs are discovered. As each miR may regulate hundreds of genes, and each gene may be regulated by multiple miRs, it is believed that most human genes and the entire spectrum of biological pathways are tightly and delicately controlled by the miRNome. Deregulation of miRs may contribute to various diseases. We have been working on inflammation regulators responsive to lipopolysaccharides (LPS) stimulation (Science. 2002 15;295(5562):2094-7, J Immunol. 2001 Apr 1;166(7):4586-95, Oncogene. 2004 May 20;23(23):4089-97). We found that SH2-containing inositol phosphatase (SHIP) plays an important role in two processes that limit the success of allogeneic marrow transplantation: graft rejection and graft-versus-host disease using Cre/loxP conditional knockout mouse models, and discovered a novel gene: LPS-responsive beige-like anchor (Lrba) that may be involved in leading intracellular vesicles to activated receptor complexes. Currently, we are interested in studying the mechanism underlying miR regulations of the immunity and developing miR biomarkers and therapeutics for inflammatory diseases such as asthma using cell culture and mouse models.
- Part-time and volunteer positions are available in the Lab. If interested, please contact email@example.com.
- Austin Journal of Clinical Immunology (Editorial board member, 2013 - Present)
- Moffitt Cancer Biology and Evolution Program (Collaborator Member, 2012 - Present)
- The American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (Member, 2006 - Present)
- Wang, Jia-wang; Li, Kunyu; Hellermann, Gary; Lockey, Richard F; Mohapatra, Subhra; Mohapatra, Shyam Regulating the Regulators: microRNA and Asthma World Allergy Organization Journal. 4(6) : 94-103, 2011.
- Zhang, W.Cao, X.Chen, D.Wang, JW.Yang, H.Wang, W.Mohapatra, S.Hellermann, G.Kong, X.Lockey, RF.Mohapatra, SS. Plasmid-encoded NP73-102 modulates atrial natriuretic peptide receptor signaling and plays a critical role in inducing tolerogenic dendritic cells. Genetic vaccines and therapy. 9(1) : 3, 2011. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21219617
- Yang, H.Kong, W.He, L.Zhao, JJ.O'Donnell, JD.Wang, J.Wenham, RM.Coppola, D.Kruk, PA.Nicosia, SV.Cheng, JQ. MicroRNA expression profiling in human ovarian cancer: miR-214 induces cell survival and cisplatin resistance by targeting PTEN. Cancer research. 68(2) : 425-33, 2008. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18199536
- Wang, JW.Cheng, JQ. A simple method for profiling miRNA expression. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 414: 183-90, 2008. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18175820
- Wang, JW.Gamsby, JJ.Highfill, SL.Mora, LB.Bloom, GC.Yeatman, TJ.Pan, TC.Ramne, AL.Chodosh, LA.Cress, WD.Chen, J.Kerr, WG. Deregulated expression of LRBA facilitates cancer cell growth. Oncogene. 23(23) : 4089-97, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15064745
- Ghansah, T.Paraiso, KH.Highfill, S.Desponts, C.May, S.McIntosh, JK.Wang, JW.Ninos, J.Brayer, J.Cheng, F.Sotomayor, E.Kerr, WG. Expansion of myeloid suppressor cells in SHIP-deficient mice represses allogeneic T cell responses. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 173(12) : 7324-30, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585856
- Wang, JW.Howson, JM.Ghansah, T.Desponts, C.Ninos, JM.May, SL.Nguyen, KH.Toyama-Sorimachi, N.Kerr, WG. Influence of SHIP on the NK repertoire and allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Science (New York, N.Y.). 295(5562) : 2094-7, 2002. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11896280
- Wang, JW.Howson, J.Haller, E.Kerr, WG. Identification of a novel lipopolysaccharide-inducible gene with key features of both A kinase anchor proteins and chs1/beige proteins. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 166(7) : 4586-95, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11254716
- Tu, Z.Ninos, JM.Ma, Z.Wang, JW.Lemos, MP.Desponts, C.Ghansah, T.Howson, JM.Kerr, WG. Embryonic and hematopoietic stem cells express a novel SH2-containing inositol 5'-phosphatase isoform that partners with the Grb2 adapter protein. Blood. 98(7) : 2028-38, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11567986