W. Mcdowell Anderson, MD
Professor, College Of Medicine Internal Medicine
College Of Medicine Internal Medicine
Program Director, Sleep Medicine, Internal Medicine, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida
Professor, Internal Medicine, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida
James A. Haley VA Hospital
13000 Bruce B. Downs Blvd. (111C)
Tampa, FL 33612
Academic Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Phone: (813) 972-7543
View My C.V.
- MD, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 1978
Interdisciplinary and Emerging Signature Programs
- We are currently investigating multiple different areas related to sleep and it's disorders which may include obstructive sleep apnea, sleep following traumatic brain injury, central sleep apnea following narcotic treatment for chronic pain as well as actigraphy assessment for chronic insomnia. We are working with the Dept. of Neurology to establish an Amytrohic Lateral Sclerosis Center in combination with the VA Hospital and will evaluate sleep and breathing in patients with this disorder. We continue to work with the Bariatric Center and Tampa General Hospital on sleep apnea in this select group.
- American College of Chest Physicians (Sleep Medicine Network, 2004 - Present)
- American Lung Association of Florida (Professional Education and Research Committee, 1992 - Present)
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (., 1992 - Present)
- Southern Sleep Society (., 1988 - Present)
- American College of Chest Physicians (., 1985 - Present)
- American Thoracic Society (., 1985 - Present)
- Schwartz, SW.Rosas, J.Iannacone, MR.Foulis, PR.Anderson, WM. Correlates of a prescription for Bilevel positive airway pressure for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea among veterans. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 9(4) : 327-35, 2013. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23585747
- Schwartz, SW.Cimino, CR.Anderson, WM. CPAP or placebo-effect? Sleep. 35(12) : 1585-6, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23204598
- Gill J, Vidyarthi, G, Kulkarni P, Anderson WMcD Safety of Conscious Sedation in Patients with Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea in a Veteran Population Southern Medical Journal. 104(3) : 185-188, 2011.
- Subramanian N, Anderson WMcD Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Hospitalized Patients Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Update (PCCSU). 24: 1-8, 2010.
- Anderson W McDowell, Mina SM Adjunctive Therapy to CPAP: Sedative Hypnotics, Heated Humidification and Supplemental Oxygen Sleep Medicine Clinics. 5: 369-381, 2010.
- Clum SR, Anderson WMcD, Rumbak MJ The Timing of Tracheostomy in Patients Requiring Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation J. Bronchol. 15(4) : 247-259, 2008.
- Collop, NA.Anderson, WM.Boehlecke, B.Claman, D.Goldberg, R.Gottlieb, DJ.Hudgel, D.Sateia, M.Schwab, R. Clinical guidelines for the use of unattended portable monitors in the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients. Portable Monitoring Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Journal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. 3(7) : 737-47, 2007. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18198809
- Littner, MR.Kushida, C.Anderson, WM.Bailey, D.Berry, RB.Hirshkowitz, M.Kapen, S.Kramer, M.Lee-Chiong, T.Li, KK.Loube, DL.Morgenthaler, T.Wise, M. Practice parameters for the dopaminergic treatment of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder. Sleep. 27(3) : 557-9, 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15164914
- Littner, M.Kushida, CA.Anderson, WM.Bailey, D.Berry, RB.Davila, DG.Hirshkowitz, M.Kapen, S.Kramer, M.Loube, D.Wise, M.Johnson, SF. Practice parameters for the role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms: an update for 2002. Sleep. 26(3) : 337-41, 2003. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12749556
- Flemons, WW.Littner, MR.Rowley, JA.Gay, P.Anderson, WM.Hudgel, DW.McEvoy, RD.Loube, DI. Home diagnosis of sleep apnea: a systematic review of the literature. An evidence review cosponsored by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, the American College of Chest Physicians, and the American Thoracic Society. Chest. 124(4) : 1543-79, 2003. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14555592
- Littner, M.Hirshkowitz, M.Kramer, M.Kapen, S.Anderson, WM.Bailey, D.Berry, RB.Davila, D.Johnson, S.Kushida, C.Loube, DI.Wise, M.Woodson, BT. Practice parameters for using polysomnography to evaluate insomnia: an update. Sleep. 26(6) : 754-60, 2003. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14572131
- Rasheid, S.Banasiak, M.Gallagher, SF.Lipska, A.Kaba, S.Ventimiglia, D.Anderson, WM.Murr, MM. Gastric bypass is an effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnea in patients with clinically significant obesity. Obesity surgery. 13(1) : 58-61, 2003. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12630614
- Littner, M.Hirshkowitz, M.Davila, D.Anderson, WM.Kushida, CA.Woodson, BT.Johnson, SF.Merrill, SW. Practice parameters for the use of auto-titrating continuous positive airway pressure devices for titrating pressures and treating adult patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine report. Sleep. 25(2) : 143-7, 2002. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11902424
- Anderson, WM. Top ten list in sleep. Chest. 122(4) : 1457-60, 2002. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12377878
- Associate Professor (Internal Medicine, Morsani College of Medicine, Univ 1992 - 2000)
- Associate Professor (School of Medicine, Louisiana State University 1991 - 1992)
- Assistant Professor (Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Louisiana State University 1988 - 1992)
- Assistant Professor (Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Louisiana State University 1985 - 1991)
- Instructor (Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida 1981 - 1983)
- Ventilation Associated Pneumonia (VA Special Contributions Award - 2010)
- Best Doctors in America Database (Best Doctors, Inc. - 2010)
- VA Outstanding Rating Award (VA - 2009)
- Silver Performance Award for Outstanding Contributions (University of South Florida - 2007)
- Portable Sleep Monitoring Program (2006 VA Special Contribution Award - 2006)