The Office of Diversity Initiatives was established in 1995. The goals of the office are to:
· Enhance and expand the diversity of the student population in the College of Medicine.
· Encourage minority high school students along career paths that lead to the Medical Sciences.
· Advocate for a diverse group of residents, fellows and staff and encourage the recruitment of minority faculty.
Some of the Services offered by the Office of Diversity
· Advising is offered to pre-medical students and applicants regarding the admissions process and academic progress.
· Recruitment and retention of faculty and Staff of Color
Some of the Programs offered by the Office of Diversity in collaboration with the Office of Academic Enrichment
· Pre-Med Workshops offer the pre medical student an overview of medical school, an opportunity to meet faculty and students and to learn about the application, interview and selection processes.
· Pre-matriculation Program is a six-week summer program that helps reduce the number of students who encounter academic difficulties during their medical school education. All USF COM matriculants are eligible to apply.
· Peer Tutorial Program provides tutoring assistance for medical students and is overseen by the Office of Academic Enrichment.
· Scholarships are offered to eligible underrepresented minority students.
· Student National Medical Association (SNMA) is an organization that provides a support group for enrolled students and an outreach to prospective applicants.
For more information, contact:
For questions or comments regarding this website, contact Lyette Pate, USF College of Medicine Office of Diversity Initiatives: