12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd, MDC 66
Tampa, Florida 33612
Fax : (813) 974-3386
Contracts & Grants Overview
Contracts & Grants are research or scholarly activities are externally funded by federal, state and private sponsors. The activities have a defined scope of work or set of objectives, which provides a basis for sponsor expectations. Two fields of the USF accounting “chartfield” are primary segregating factors for contract and grant administration as follows:
- the FUND designates and quantifies the activities by sponsor type (federal = 20xxx, state = 21xxx, private = 22xxx)
- the PROJECT designates and quantifies the activities of this specific research award
For more information regarding Contracts and Grants refer to the Related Links at the top of this page.
Cost Share Overview
Cost share or matching is that portion of a sponsored award or program that is not funded by the sponsor. These costs are covered by the University (and/or third party) in lieu of the sponsor. Cost share must be:
- directly identifiable and specifically benefit the project or program
- allowable under OMB Circular A-21 and the sponsor’s guidelines
- incurred during the performance period of the project
Voluntary cost sharing should be avoided. An investigator may feel that his/her proposal has a better chance of funding if the University provides cost sharing for the project; however, most reviewers indicate that the strength of the proposal idea and cost effectiveness of the budget are the most important qualifications for success.
For additional information, refer to the Related Links at the top of this page.