Health and Wellness: Exercise
With 1,440 minutes in every day, dedicating 30 minutes to exercise means giving up 2% of your day. There are many ways to "squeeze" in the 30 minutes. Here are some tips to help you make exercise a daily routine.
Top 10 tips for fitting exercise into your day:
- Wake up early - it is so easy to press the snooze button, but decide to get up at the first alarm and do some stretching exercises to warm up the muscles for the day.
- Quit work on time - decide to stop working on time and walk to the gym or use the gym for 30 minutes. It is a much better way to burn off some stress than working for an extra 30 minutes (work will still be there tomorrow).
- Exercise while watching television - "Can't live without television?" Ride a bike, jump rope, or do floor exercises during your favorite shows. See if you can do push-ups or jumping jacks throughout an entire commercial set. Do you enjoy fast-paced sports on television? Riding a bike while watching a sporting event may lead to a more vigorous workout.
- Plan outdoor activities with family and friends - Plan on going to the park, zoo, or hiking instead of going out to eat or to the movies.
- Make family time exercise time - Teach your children the importance of exercise and health habits. Dance with them, wrestle with them, play football or basketball with them, go roller skating, or go on a bike ride.
- Make the most of telephone time - While talking on teh phone, try mild exercises such as wall squats and lunges. Do some stretches and loosen up your muscles.
- Take a fitness break instead of a coffee break - A good way to stay active and keep your mind clear is to walk for 10 minutes. Take it slow or power walk - just do it.
- Be social - join a dance class, competitive team, running group, volleyball or basketball league as a means of meeting people and staying fit.
- Be an active person - Park further away from your building or take the stairs instead of the elevator. Need to talk to someone?
- Schedule fitness - Schedule a time to exercise as you would any other meeting. If other demands come up, look at your schedule and let the other person know you have other commitments and that another time would be better for you.
Get a quick workout in
Located above Fresh foods Café
Open to all Campus Recreation Center Members
Mon. – Thur. 11:30am to 1:30pm & 5pm – 10pm
Fri. 11:30am to 1:30pm & 5pm to 9pm
*Must have a USF Id and a workout towel
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
7:05 PM - 8:05 PM
7:05PM – 8:05 PM
6:30 - 7:30PM
STEP N TONE