Assignment & Evaluation - NonRanked
Non-Ranked Faculty in USF Health, Morsani
College of Medicine and College of Pharmacy
Out-of-Unit Faculty College of Nursing and College of Public Health
Effective May 24, 2016
- Evaluation Form
- Assignment Form
- Professional Goals Form
- Assigned Faculty Duties Summary and Definitions
This policy and procedure is applicable to the following faculty:
- Nonranked* Faculty in USF Health,
- Morsani College of Medicine Individuals holding Non-Ranked Faculty appointments,
- Non-Ranked Faculty in the College of Pharmacy
- Out-of-Unit Faculty in the College of Nursing and College of Public Health.
*The most frequently non-ranked faculty titles at USF Health are 9115 Coordinator, 9120 Associate In, 9121 Assistant In, 9126 Program Director, 9166 Research Associate, 9180 Postdoctoral Fellow, and 9199 Faculty Administrator.
NOTE: A faculty member holding a "joint" appointment is evaluated under the process which governs his/her primary "home" appointment. A formal, written evaluation for the secondary appointment is not required.
Faculty members covered by this policy/procedure will be evaluated annually with regard to the individuals' assigned duties and achievements/performance for the academic year and participate in an annual assignment and evaluation conference with his/her supervisor.
All faculty are evaluated each year, with the following exceptions:
- A visiting faculty member whose appointment is expected to last fewer than 12 months or who will not be reappointed
- Faculty who have received a notice of non-reappointment
- Faculty whose soft money funding is ending or being reallocated
- Faculty who have given notice of resignation or retirement or received a letter of separation (other than non-reappointment) with an effective date on or before December 31
Visiting Faculty should participate in this process when the appointment is expected to last 12 months or longer.
Although faculty hired during the review period may not have established goals for the review period, the Chair/Division Chief/Program Leader/Supervisor should review and evaluate the new faculty member's accomplishments, set goals for the upcoming year, review his/her professional goals, finalize his/her assignment for the next year, and conduct the evaluation conference with the new faculty member.
Communications between a faculty member and his/her supervisor are essential to the faculty member's growth and development. An annual evaluation provides feedback with regard to overall performance and serves as a basis for determining compensable rewards and retention in a performance-based environment.
The review period covers a fiscal year and the process, including the evaluation conference, should be completed by Wednesday, December 17, 2014. The annual Assignment, Evaluation and Development process involves these basic steps:
- Completion of the Annual Faculty Evaluation form where the faculty member reports his/her accomplishments pertaining to the assignment for the past year.
- Completion of the Annual Assignment form listing the proposed objectives/assignment for the upcoming fiscal year.
- Completion of the Professional Goals form, as appropriate.
- Completion of the Assigned Faculty Duties Summary for the upcoming fiscal year, or equivalent for the College of Nursing, the College of Public Health, and the College of Pharmacy estimating percentages of effort in the applicable categories.
- Discussion of the evaluation and assignment for the upcoming fiscal year during the annual assignment and evaluation conference.
The final decision as to the faculty member's assignment rests with the supervisor.
Retain the completed evaluation documents in the faculty member's department/College personnel folder.
On or about Tuesday, November 18, 2014, the USF Health Office of Faculty Affairs notifies the department chairs/division chiefs that the Faculty Annual Assignment, Evaluation and Development Plan process is beginning and provides a suggested Timetable, the forms, and the procedures for completing the process.
The supervisor will provide each faculty member with the appropriate forms. The faculty member completes the following four forms and submits them to the supervisor by the requested dates:
- The Annual Faculty Evaluation form. The faculty member lists finalized assignment for the past year and related accomplishments.
- The Annual Assignment form listing the proposed objectives/assignment for the upcoming fiscal year.
- The Professional Goals form, as appropriate.
- The Assigned Faculty Duties Summary (proposing percentages of effort) for the upcoming fiscal year.
Referring to the finalized assignment on the Faculty Annual Assignment form prepared for the 2014 evaluation cycle, the faculty member completes the first two columns of the Faculty Annual Evaluation form, e.g., transfers the finalized assignment column and adds his/her assessment of the accomplishments in the "Report of Accomplishments for Academic Year" column.
- The faculty member forwards the completed forms to his/her supervisor, as instructed.
- The supervisor schedules a conference with the faculty member to discuss the evaluation along with the proposed objectives/assignment for the upcoming fiscal year.
Proposed Objective/Assignment Form
Faculty members complete the Faculty Annual Assignment Form proposing the objectives and assignment for fiscal year 2014-15.
- Identify proposed objectives/assignment for each category that is applicable to their overall assignment: Teaching/Instruction, Research/Scholarly Activity, Service, Administration, Clinical Care (w/o students and housestaff), or Other. Complete a separate page/form for each category.
- Check the appropriate category that is addressed on the form.
- Refer to the detailed breakdown and definitions of the activity categories.
- Indicate the additional resources, if any, that would be needed to achieve the goals.
Professional Goals Form
The faculty member completes the Professional Goals form, indicating specific training or mentoring s/he would like to receive, specific leadership goals, and when s/he intends to be a candidate for promotion, if applicable.
Assigned Faculty Duties Summary Form
Faculty members complete the Assigned Faculty Duties Summary form. When completed, this form reflects the estimated percentages of effort that correspond to the proposed objectives/assignment for fiscal year 2014-2015. It also provides information to assist in completing the reports of effort that are required at the end of each semester by the State of Florida and the Federal Government.
- Fill in the information requested in the top portion of the Assigned Faculty Duties Summary form.
- Refer to the definitions of the activity to assist in properly categorizing your assignments.
- List the estimated percent of effort that you expect to spend in each category listed.
- During the annual evaluation and development conference, the faculty member and the Supervisor review that document, confirm that the information is accurate. If there is a material change (5% or greater) in assignment for any category during the year, complete an updated form by December 15 or May 1.
Submission of Forms
Forward the completed forms to your Chair/Division Chief/Program Leader as instructed.
The Chair/Division Chief/Program Leader will finalize the assignment during the annual assignment and evaluation conference.
ORIGINAL FORMS ARE MAINTAINED IN DEPARTMENT FILES, AND A COPY IS PROVIDED TO THE FACULTY MEMBER.
DO NOT SEND FORMS TO THE OFFICE OF FACULTY AFFAIRS.
Annual Assignment and Evaluation Conference
During the annual assignment and evaluation conference, the supervisor and the faculty member discuss the information provided on the forms. The desired outcome of the conference is to reach an understanding of the following: (1) the level of performance during the previous year, (2) the assignment and expected outcomes for the upcoming fiscal year, and (3) the professional development plans to support the desired outcomes.
In addition, the supervisor needs to complete the Assigned Faculty Duties Summary identifying overall percentages of effort for the upcoming fiscal year. This form provides information to assist in completing the reports of effort that are required at the end of each semester by the State of Florida and the Federal Government (PERT). The entire process must be completed by Wednesday, December 17, 2014.
Retain the completed evaluation documents in the faculty member's department/College personnel file.
Certification by the Chair
Upon completion of the annual process, the department Chair submits to the Office of Faculty Affairs a signed certification that the evaluation, goal-setting, professional goals review, faculty assignment, and evaluation conference for each faculty member within his/her department was conducted in accordance with this policy. Submit the certification no later than December 17th.