Ranked/Core faculty members are evaluated annually by their Chair/Division Chief/Program Leader/Supervisor ("Chair/Supervisor") on the individual’s assigned duties and achievements for the recently completed fiscal year (FY 13/14) and participate in an annual evaluation conference with his or her Chair/Supervisor. Additionally the faculty member is provided with their assignment for the FY 2014/15. The Annual Evaluation covers the period of time from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014
The Core Faculty to be evaluated are those:
- Holding the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor (this includes Graduate Research Professor or Distinguished Professor), and
- With one of the following appointment categories: Regular (Tenured or Tenure-Earning), Clinical Educator, Scientist Educator, Research Scientist, Collaborative Research Scientist, and Courtesy, and
- Appointments that are either full time (1.0 FTE) or, if between 0.50 FTE and 1.00 FTE, involve professional activities entirely pursuant to College assignment or duties that are solely at affiliated institutions or other sites approved by the Dean, and
- With at least 6 months employment
- Visiting Faculty are evaluated when the assignment is comparable to that of core faculty and the appointment is expected to last longer than 12 months.
- Instructors in the Morsani College of Medicine are also to be evaluated with the same template as used for Core Faculty.
All Ranked/Core faculty will be evaluated each year, except:
- A visiting faculty member whose appointment is expected to last fewer than 12 months or who will not be reappointed,
- Faculty who have received a notice of non-reappointment,
- Faculty whose soft money funding is ending or being reallocated, or
- Faculty who have given notice of resignation or retirement, or received a letter of separation from employment (other than non-reappointment) with an effective date on or before December 31.
The Assignment and Evaluation process provides feedback to faculty regarding their performance, progress toward promotion and/or tenure, and professional growth. The Assignment and Evaluation process is completed when all information is posted to the Departments Assignment and Evaluation SharePoint site no later than Wednesday, December 17, 2014. The process is intended to be interactive and includes these basic steps:
- Discussion of and completion of the Annual Evaluation where the faculty member reports his/her accomplishments pertaining to the assignment for the past year.i, ii
- Discussion of and completion of the Annual Assignment by the Chair/Supervisor listing proposed assignment/objectives for the upcoming fiscal year.ii For the Annual Assignment, the faculty member and the Chair/Supervisor should discuss percentages to be reported in completing the Faculty Assignment Report for USF.
- The final decision as to the faculty member's assignment rests with the Chair/Supervisor.
On or about November 17th, the Office of Faculty Affairs notifies the Department Chairs and Department Administrators that the Faculty Annual Assignment and Evaluation process is beginning and provides a timetable, the forms, and the procedures for completing the process.
Creating the Evaluation Document
- An Assignment and Evaluation (A&E) Template specific to each Department is loaded in the department location in the SharePoint 2014 Evaluation site. The Department site also contains protected copies of the CrossTab and EVU reports which contain the source data used to create the evaluation document for each faculty.
- Working only within the SharePoint site, Department personnel need to open the A&E Template and insert the faculty member's first and last names in the Annual Evaluation sheet exactly as the name appears in the CrossTab report (middle initials will be in the first name box on the A&E Template). Save the document in using the faculty member's name Last Name, First Name with the year to follow. For example: Smith, John 2014.
- If the name is not input into the SharePoint document exactly as it appears in the CrossTab report, the effort and EVU data will not load correctly. For example, if there is a "." after the middle initial in the CrossTab that is not included in the template, the data will not pull from the reports into the template.
- The A&E Template should automatically pull effort data from the CrossTab and EVU Reports; if it does not, you may see the "update" or "enable" button across the top of the A&E document - you should use the button and that should cause the data to load.
- Due to the way the A&E document is designed (it is a "live" document"), Faculty Affairs strongly recommends that data for each faculty member be uploaded directly to the A↦E document in the SharePoint site to ensure the evaluation formulae will work correctly. Removing the document to Excel as a "working" document and then reloading it to SharePoint when it is completed affects the way the formulae run. Do not load any of your "working" or pdf files to the SharePoint site.
- Evaluation ratings are to be discussed with each faculty member and loaded into SharePoint no later than Wednesday, December 17.
- Completed and signed original documents are to be maintained in the departmental Personnel files, and a copy provided to the faculty member. Do not send copies to Faculty Affairs.
Creating the Evaluation Document
Once the Department creates the A&E form, copies of the evaluation form for each faculty member should be provided by the Department from the SharePoint site. One copy should be given to the faculty member to complete the self-evaluation portion and another should be provided to the Department APT Committee to complete. The work of the APT Committee is conducted concurrently with the meetings between the Chair/Supervisor and faculty members. Evaluations completed by the faculty member and APT Committee should be returned to the Chair/Supervisor's office and the data loaded to the document created in the SharePoint Evaluation site for that faculty member. Faculty Affairs suggests that this occur towards the beginning of the evaluation process so that it can be completed prior to the Chair/Supervisor’s evaluation meeting with the faculty member.
The Chair/Supervisor meets with the faculty member once the self-evaluation portion of the Evaluation is completed. The faculty member provides an updated curriculum vita to the Chair/Division Chief/Program Leader/Supervisor during the evaluation conference. For accrediation purposes, the updated curriculum vita should be uploaded to each Department's CV library at this time, and outdated versions should be removed.
Departmental APT Committees are to review and provide input regarding progress toward tenure for all faculty on tenure-earning appointments and progress toward promotion for all Assistant Professors and Associate Professors. After determining their evaluation score for each faculty member, the APT Committee returns the form(s) to the Chair/Supervisor’s office to be loaded into the SharePoint site.
The Chair/Supervisor meets with each faculty member to discuss the evaluation along with the assignment/objectives proposed for the upcoming fiscal year. After the evaluation rating is set, the Department loads this information into the SharePoint Evaluation site.
Annual Assignment (Sheet after the Annual Evaluation sheet)
In consideration of the minimum efforts percentages established by the AIMS initiative, Faculty should identify proposed assignment/objectives for the upcoming fiscal year and correlate all parts of their proposed assignment to the appropriate percentages of effort required by AIMS, i.e., Teaching/Instruction (5% of effort), Research/Scholarly Activity (5% of effort), Service (3% of effort), Administration, Clinical Care (w/o students and house staff), or Professional Development (2% of effort).
Criteria set out in the Morsani College of Medicine Appointment, Promotion and Tenure (APT) Guidelines for assessing meritorious and outstanding accomplishment in scholarly activity, teaching and service are a useful guide in establishing the assignment, goals and objectives for each faculty member.
A clear and precise description of the proposed assignment/objective should be provided to each faculty member.
Requests for additional resources or training required to achieve any assignment/performance goals for the upcoming fiscal year should be discussed and included here.
If there is a material change (5% or greater) in assignment for any category during the year, an update must be completed by December 15 and May 1, as appropriate.
Submission of Data
Evaluation and assignment meetings with each faculty member must be completed and finalized, with supervisor and APT ratings loaded to the SharePoint site by Wedensday, December 17, 2014 when the SharePoint Evaluation site will be closed to Departments.
Annual Assignment and Evaluation Conference
Faculty Affairs anticipates that the supervisor and faculty member will discuss the (1) level of performance during the previous year, (2) assignment and expected outcomes for the upcoming fiscal year, (3) progress toward tenure and/or promotion (if applicable), (4) professional development plans to support the desired outcomes, and (5) finalize the Assignment Summary form identifying overall percentages of effort for the upcoming fiscal year.
Retain completed and signed original documents in the departmental Personnel files, and provide a copy of the completed evaluation to the faculty member. Faculty Affairs does not maintain hard copies of these records.
Certification by Chair
Upon completion of the annual process, the department Chair submits to the Office of Faculty Affairs a signed certification or email that the assignment and conference for each faculty member within his/her department was completed in accordance with this policy. Submit the certification no later than December 17, 2014.
Evaluations by the Vice Dean
Vice Deans will concurrently begin their evaluations of faculty having assigned duties in their respective areas of responsibility and complete their reviews and load their ratings into the SharePoint Evaluation site by December 17th.
i The Annual Evaluation form provided on the SharePoint Evaluation site as part of AIMS must be completed.
ii The forms reflect implementation of the criteria established as part of the AIMS initiative.