Assignment & Evaluation - Ranked
May 24, 2016
Assignment Form-See Sharepoint Site
WHO IS TO BE GIVEN AN ASSIGNMENT AND EVALUATION
The Chair (Division Chief, Program Leader, or Supervisor (“Chair") is to provide existing Faculty members with their annual assignment for FY 2016/17 prior to July 1st or as shortly thereafter as practicable, but no later than July 31st.
Newly hired Faculty are to receive a written assignment at the time of initial appointment.
The Chair provides annual evaluations to the Ranked/Core faculty members in their Department. Faculty members are expected to participate in an annual evaluation conference with his or her Chair.
Core Faculty to be evaluated are those:
- Holding the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor (this includes Graduate Research Professor, Distinguished University Professor or Distinguished USF Health Professor), and
- With one of the following appointment categories: Regular (Tenured or Tenure-Earning), Clinical Educator, Scientist Educator, Research Scientist, Collaborative Research Scientist, and Courtesy, or
- Having an appointment as an Instructor; and
- With appointments that are either full time (1.0 FTE) or, if between 0.50 FTE and 1.00 FTE, involve professional activities entirely related to an MCOM assignment or duties that are solely performed or provided at affiliated institutions or other sites approved by the Dean, and
- With at least 6 months employment.
- Visiting Faculty are evaluated when the assignment is comparable to that of core faculty and the appointment is expected to last longer than 12 months.
All Ranked/Core faculty will be evaluated each year, except:
- A visiting faculty member whose appointment is expected to last fewer than 12 months or who will not be reappointed, or
- Faculty who have received a notice of non-reappointment, or
- Faculty whose soft money funding is ending or being reallocated, or
- Faculty who have given notice of resignation or retirement, or received a letter of separation from employment (other than non-reappointment) with an effective date on or before December 31.
The annual Assignment and Evaluation process is the way that the Chair provides the Faculty member with the annual assignment of duties, provides feedback to the Faculty regarding performance based on the assigned duties, provides feedback on an individual’s progress toward promotion and/or tenure, as well as establishing goals for professional growth. In addition to providing necessary and helpful feedback to each faculty member, the Assignment and Evaluation process helps the University and MCOM comply with certain accreditation standards which require faculty evaluations.
The Assignment part of the process occurs towards the end of the fiscal year as Assignments are effective at the beginning of each fiscal year (July 1st) for existing Faculty or at the time of hire for new Faculty. Later in the year, once fiscal year data is available, the Faculty are provided an Evaluation of the Assignment he or she was given for the just ended fiscal year.
GUIDELINES AND PROCESS
The process is intended to consist of at least two (2) conversations between the faculty member and their Chair.
- Late Spring/early Summer, or at time of hire for new Faculty: The Chair and each Faculty member should meet to discuss the Faculty member’s assignment for the upcoming year.
- Faculty members are encouraged to discuss professional goals at this time and the need for any resources that might be necessary to reach their goals.
- At the end of the discussion, the Chair completes the written annual Assignment document. Both the Chair and the Faculty member sign the Assignment document.
- Fall: After year end data for the past fiscal year is finalized (usually the end of September/early October), the Chair and each Faculty member should meet to discuss the Faculty member’s Evaluation for the past year’s Assignment.
- Each Faculty member is encouraged to provide a self-evaluation score for each area in which they had an assignment (Education, Research, Clinical Activity, Service and/or Professional Development).
- A rating for each assigned duty is to be discussed between the Chair and Faculty Member.
- At the end of the discussion, the Chair completes the written annual Evaluation document. Both the Chair and the Faculty member sign the Evaluation document.
- The final decision as to the Faculty member’s Assignment or Evaluation rests with the Chair.
- The Evaluation is based on the Faculty member’s assigned duties and achievements for the recently completed fiscal year (i.e. July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2016).
- OFA strongly suggests using Internet Explorer when accessing the SharePoint site as this portal is most compatible with SharePoint.
- The Assignment and Evaluation templates are created as Excel documents and are loaded into each Department’s dedicated SharePoint library. Documents need to remain in the Excel format as there are “live” features built into the documents that will only work in Excel (i.e. do not load the Assignment or Evaluation document as a pdf document once it has been completed).
- The template data is created by using the Faculty member Employee ID number and then saving the template under the Faculty member’s name.
- To name the documents, Faculty Affairs prefers the following naming convention:
- Smith, John 2016-17 Assignment
- Smith, John 2015-16 Evaluation
- Information can be added to the Assignment and Evaluation documents inside SharePoint as if you are working in Excel—you do not need to export to Excel and return the document to SharePoint later when the Assignments or Evaluations are completed.
- Once all the discussions are completed and the information needed for the Assignment or Evaluation document is loaded into the SharePoint library, the document is printed out. This “original” is then signed by the Chair and Faculty member and are maintained within the Department’s file on each Faculty member. A copy of the signed document is to be given to each Faculty member. You do not need to send a copy of the signed original to OFA, or upload a signed document as a pdf to your SharePoint library.
- The Evaluation document is to be completed by loading numerical scores; however, if the Chair wishes to do so, or the Faculty member requests it, he or she is free to provide written feedback in addition to the primary Evaluation document in SharePoint.
- Timelines are developed for each part of the process and posted on the SharePoint site.
- As part of the Evaluation process each Faculty member is to provide a copy of their most recent CV to be loaded into each Department’s SharePoint CV library.
- Chairs and the APT Committees should consider and refer to the Morsani College of Medicine Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Guidelines for criteria for making assignments and providing evaluations as these criteria are the basis for assessing meritorious and outstanding accomplishment in scholarly activity, teaching and service. These activities are examples of those valued by the College and should serve as a guide in establishing the assignment, goals and objectives for each faculty member, and to provide a fair assessment of their efforts in progressing towards promotion or tenure.
- In late Spring or Early Summer, Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) establishes the timeline, and prepares and loads the Assignment template into each area’s dedicated Assignment and Evaluation library in SharePoint.
- OFA notifies the MCOM Departments and Units that the Assignment process is open, and, using the template and the Employee ID number, the Departments prepare an Assignment form for each Faculty member to be provided an assignment. (See Naming Convention above)
- The Chair meets with their Faculty members and establishes the annual assignment for each of them. The Departments load the Assignment information into the form for each Faculty member. This can be done directly in SharePoint—either through directly typing into the document or cutting/pasting from an external source.
- If there is a material change (5% or greater) in assignment for any category during the year, an update must be completed by December 15 and May 1, as appropriate.
- During the Fall, OFA determines the appropriate timeline, and prepares and loads the Evaluation template into each area’s dedicated Assignment and Evaluation library in SharePoint.
- OFA notifies the MCOM Departments and Units that the Evaluation process is open, and, using the template and the Employee ID number, the Departments prepare an Evaluation form for each Faculty member who has at least six (6) months of assigned duties. (See the WHO IS TO BE GIVEN AN ASSIGNMENT AND EVALUATION section above for full details information on who is to be evaluated and for the Naming Convention).
- The Department’s APT Committee is to receive a copy of each Faculty member’s Evaluation form. They are expected to meet and provide the Department’s score to the Chair so that it can be included in the completed document. This part of the process happens concurrently with other parts of the process, and is part of the assessment to determine if a Faculty member is making appropriate progress towards promotion and/or tenure.
- The Chair meets with their Faculty members, and in consideration of the assignment from the last fiscal year, discusses the evaluation score for that annual assignment. The Departments load the evaluation scores from the Chair and the APT Committee into the form for each Faculty member. This can be done directly in SharePoint.
Evaluation Certification by the Chair:
Once the Department has finished the evaluations for each Faculty member, the Chair sends a certification (memo or email) that the Department evaluations are completed. See annually established timeline for the deadline to provide the Certification.
Evaluations by the Vice Deans:
Vice Deans provide evaluations to each Faculty member who has an Assignment within their area of responsibility. Their evaluation efforts occur while the Department process is underway and they are able to load the scores directly in the SharePoint site. The Vice Deans will complete their reviews and load their ratings for each faculty member into the SharePoint Evaluation site based on the annually established timeline.