Laser Nail Fungus Treatment
Clinicians using laser technology have made great strides in the treatment of nail fungus. Due to the risks associated with oral medications and the disappointing results from prescription creams and polishes to treat nail fungus, these therapies are quickly becoming treatments of the past. Clinical trials show laser treatment success being as high as 70-90% with multiple treatments whereas current prescription therapies are about 50% effective. The laser works by heating up the nail layers specific to the fungus and attempts to destroy the genetic material responsible for the growth and survival of the fungus.
What are the benefits of Laser Nail Fungus Treatment?
- Safe and effective
- Treatments are quick (approximately 30 minutes)
- Minimal to no discomfort (although it is not uncommon to feel heat from the laser)
- Excellent alternative to potentially harmful oral medication
What to expect during and after the Laser Nail Fungus Treatment?
- Minimum of 2 treatments are recommended
- Treatments performed 5-6 weeks apart
- All nails in the area of the fungus are treated
- Laser treatment is used in conjunction with topical creams
- Fingernails require 3-6 months to re-grow completely and toenails 12 to 18 months
- Results will not be seen until at least 2 months from the initial laser treatment