For more information about student programs at USF AHEC, contact:
LaToya S. Clark, MPH
Health Professions Summer Academy
The AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy is a two-week residential academic program intended to increase the college preparation skills of high school students interested in health careers such as: medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, allied health, and public health.
During the two-week program, students focus upon:
- College survival skills
- Personal and professional development
- SAT preparation
- College admissions
- College financial aid and scholarships
- Field trips to local hospitals, including Tampa General, Shriner's Childrens Hospital, and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Visits to USF Health Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, Pharmacy, and School of Physical Therapy
Participants will be selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants. The Academy strongly encourages applications from students who are underrepresented in the health professions (African American/Black, Mexican American or Puerto Rican, Native American or Alaskan Native) and students from disadvantaged backgrounds (low-income, first generation college students).
Dates of Academy
Sunday, June 15 - Saturday, June 28, 2014
Application and Fee*
AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy application packets will be mailed to high schools in AHEC's nine-county service area and available on-line beginning Monday, January 3, 2014. All applications must be submitted by the student applicant or the student’s parent.
Students must submit a non-refundable $25 application fee along with the application packet by Monday, March 3, 2014 to be considered for the 2014 Academy class. The application process for the Academy is very competitive. Submission of the application and fee does not guarantee acceptance into the Academy. If you are selected to participate in the Academy an additional program fee of $75 is required to participate.
*Financial assistance is available for those who qualify. If you need assistance with application and program fees please contact the AHEC Center in your county. Assistance is available on a first come, first served basis.
- Residents in Citrus, Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas, or Hillsborough County contact: Gulfcoast North AHEC (Victor Rodriguez Cruz) at 813-929-1000
- Residents in Manatee, DeSoto, Charlotte, or Sarasota County contact: Gulfcoast South AHEC (Joan Beatty-Lee) at 941-361-6602
Current AHEC Students
Students who have previously participated in an AHEC sponsored health career program will have their application fee waived. AHEC sponsored health career programs include:
- Gulfcoast North AHEC Health Career Expeditions
- Gulfcoast South AHEC REACH Internship Program
- Brain Expansions Scholastic Training (BEST) Program
If you have participated in one of the AHEC sponsored programs listed above please contact LaToya Clark, at 813-974-5973 or at email@example.com to receive your application fee waiver code. Please contact Ms. Clark prior to submitting your application.
Application packets are due by 5:00pm on Monday, March 3, 2014. Application fee payments can be made in the form of personal checks, money orders, or cashiers checks made payable to Gulfcoast North AHEC. To pay by debit or credit card please call Gulfcoast North AHEC (Victor Cruz) at 813-929-1000.
Students will receive written notification in April (2014) regarding their acceptance into the Summer Academy class of 2014.
Only students who meet the following criteria are eligible for the Academy:
- Entering their junior or senior year of high school
- Have an interest in a health career
- Have a minimum 3.0 unweighted GPA
- Live in and attend school in Charlotte, Citrus, DeSoto, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, or Sarasota counties.
Click here to download the 2014 USF AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy application.