For more information about student programs at USF AHEC, contact:
LaToya S. Clark, MPH
Health Professions Summer Academy
The AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy is a two-week residential academic program intended to increase the college preparation skills of high school students interested in health careers such as: medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, allied health, and public health.
During the two-week program, students focus upon:
- College survival skills
- Personal and professional development
- SAT preparation
- College admissions
- College financial aid and scholarships
- Field trips to local hospitals, including Tampa General, Shriner's Childrens Hospital, and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Visits to USF Health Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, Pharmacy, and School of Physical Therapy
Participants will be selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants. The Academy strongly encourages applications from students who are underrepresented in the health professions (African American/Black, Mexican American or Puerto Rican, Native American or Alaskan Native) and students from disadvantaged backgrounds (low-income, first generation college students).
Dates of Academy
Currently postponed until 2016.
For other local summer enrichment opportunities please visit:
Application and Fee*
AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy application packets are mailed to high schools in AHEC's nine-county service area and available on-line. All applications are submitted by the student applicant or the student’s parent.
Students must submit a non-refundable application fee along with the application packet. The application process for the Academy is very competitive. Please note, submission of the application and fee does not guarantee acceptance into the Academy.
*Financial assistance is available for those who qualify. Assistance is available on a first come, first served basis.
Current AHEC Students
Students who have previously participated in an AHEC sponsored health career program will have their application fee waived. AHEC sponsored health career programs include:
- Gulfcoast North AHEC Health Career Expeditions
- Gulfcoast South AHEC REACH Internship Program
- Brain Expansions Scholastic Training (BEST) Program
Only students who meet the following criteria are eligible for the Academy:
- Entering their junior or senior year of high school
- Have an interest in a health career
- Have a minimum 3.0 unweighted GPA
- Live in and attend school in Charlotte, Citrus, DeSoto, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, or Sarasota counties.