For more information about student programs at USF AHEC, contact:
LaToya S. Clark, MPH
Health Professions Summer Academy
The AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy is a two-week residential academic program intended to increase the college preparation skills of high school students interested in health careers such as: medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy, allied health, and public health.
During the two-week program, students focus upon:
- College survival skills
- Personal and professional development
- SAT preparation
- College admissions
- College financial aid and scholarships
- Field trips to local hospitals, including Tampa General, Shriner's Childrens Hospital, and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Visits to USF Health Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, Pharmacy, and School of Physical Therapy
Participants will be selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants. The Academy strongly encourages applications from students who are underrepresented in the health professions (African American/Black, Mexican American or Puerto Rican, Native American or Alaskan Native) and students from disadvantaged backgrounds (low-income, first generation college students).
Dates of Academy
Sunday, June 16 - Saturday, June 29, 2013
Application and Admission (Currently closed!)
AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy application packets will be mailed to high schools in AHEC's nine-county service area and available on-line beginning Monday, January 7, 2013. All applications must be submitted by the student applicant or the student’s parent.
Students will receive written notification in April (2013) regarding their acceptance into the Summer Academy class of 2013.
Only students who meet the following criteria are eligible for the Academy:
- Entering their junior or senior year of high school
- Have an interest in a health career
- Have a 3.0 unweighted GPA
- Live in and attend school in Charlotte, Citrus, DeSoto, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, or Sarasota counties.
Click here to download the 2013 USF AHEC Health Professions Summer Academy brochure.